Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Parked car damaged by neighbours car?

Angry My Parked car damaged by neighbours car?

Found my car which was parked outside my house on road damaged this afternoon. Damage on drivers front side, scrapped down to metal and rubber marks all along the side.
    Neighbours car parked on driveway has corresponding damage and rubber missing from vehicles, drivers side rear side, that would be consistent with him having pulled out of drive and turning right across my car. No note left. What do I do or say? Any advice? My car new audi a5, his a heap!

I guess it will depend on whether you feel able to knock on his door and ask him about it. You might get photographs first. If you can do that, then you should take the attitude that he was obviously unaware that he had done it, and simply ask for the insurance details. If he refuses you could hint that failing to exchange details is an offence and you might involve the law. If you feel intimidated, do you have a large friend who could support you?

If you, for some reason, feel you are unable to knock on his door, then it gets harder. You could just take it on the chin, tell your insurance that it was a hit and run, and claim from them. This will hit your premium, but not that badly.

The last, and least attractive option would be to involve the police without approaching him. This will probably create more problems than it solves.

If damage as bad as you say, the neighbour must be aware of what they have done. If they are prepared to ignore their responsibilities, why give them licence to do so? Report it to the police - and ASAP before they start trying to cover the damage to their car. Sound like crabby neighbours to me!

Snowball - that is OK if you are confident that they are not the kind of neighbour that will make your life a misery afterwards. Life is too short to go around making enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Snowball - that is OK if you are confident that they are not the kind of neighbour that will make your life a misery afterwards. Life is too short to go around making enemies.
    That is the sad thing about today, the fear factor. I suggest involving the police and sod him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    That is the sad thing about today, the fear factor. I suggest involving the police and sod him.
    Man of my own heart, Trainman. Why eat humble pie at ones own expense because of the blatant ignorance of another; even if they are a neighbour?
    If the neighbour was tackled directly, with or without them paying up, making life difficult afterwards could still occur. However, if the matter was reported to, and dealt with, by the police, any form of reprisals then would be a rather stupid act to embark upon.

Well - I admire your courage. You might change your opinion after the dog poo comes through the letterbox, and the gouge mysteriously appears down the side of your car.

It all depends on the OP's situation and the character of the neighbour. We have all read of the dreadful situations where a bullying neighbour can make someone's life a misery. I have personally had a problem in the past with a neighbour over a boundary dispute. We never came to blows, but it was pretty unpleasant, and I was glad when I moved away.

Whatever our opinion is, it is up to the OP how he want's to proceed. My preferred option would be a diplomatic approach and an attempt to settle amicably.

I wonder if your neighbour feels they cannot approach you?
    Personally, I do not take to bullying of any kind but am quite happy to test out the water before deciding what action to take.
    Dog poo through my letterbox would just mean it on the menu for the person who inserted it.

Well, Santa, if the neighbour sees fit to ignore what they have done, that's the beginning of the end for settling it amicably. it may depend on how the neighbour reacts when/if the OP speaks to them about the damage. But it is the neighbour's behaviour, in treating it in ignorance, that has set the scene for involving the police. The neighbour caused damage and walked away, ignoring their legally required responsibility to follow due procedures, and thereby committed an offence.

My cars been damaged and think my neighbour has done it.
    Do I.......

A)knock on their door
    B)ask the internet

Sorry I just don't understand why you would not knock on their door and take it from there.