Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poor Motorway Driving

FJ - this very question was debated on a forum for truck drivers recently, and it was clear that, unlike cars, trucks are not generally booked onto a particular ferry. (Exceptions are, for example, the Portsmouth - Santander ferry).

Snowball - no doubt you would prefer it if the limit were lowered further. 30mph? There is always a compromise between all the various factors and one is that many car drivers have been injured or killed while trying to overtake slow lorries on these roads. The A90 being a worst example. Neither you nor I am expert enough to measure the trade-off between this and the risk of allowing lorries to drive faster where the road is clear. I can tell you that driving along some roads like the A303, where there are long straight and wide sections, at 40mph, is very boring, and that in itself causes a hazard from lost concentration.

I do not defend in any way the actions of some lorry drivers who bring the rest into disrepute.
    Last edited by Santa; 16-12-13 at 12:39.

Those of you who are interested might like to read this thread, by working truck drivers, about speed on the A75. You will see that there is no consensus but the majority of those who comment tend to abide by the law in the interest of keeping their licences and their jobs.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/view...72&hilit=irish

Santa, that's interesting, as I was told that, on the NI routes, they were asking for bookings. All Calmac ferries incidentally require commercials to be booked.

They may be booked on a specific boat, but the operators like to keep them full and their customers happy. They will put any trucks that miss a ferry on to the next available.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Those of you who are interested might like to read this thread, by working truck drivers, about speed on the A75. You will see that there is no consensus but the majority of those who comment tend to abide by the law in the interest of keeping their licences and their jobs.

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/view...72&hilit=irish
    It appears so but it is obvious some want a guide to what they can get away with. Others give advice on how to avoid getting caught. It appears that D&G police are policing heavily. There must be a reason. The Heddlu used to patrol the A55 heavily but that seems to have become less intense these days.

Reading the link, I think montmerency and robroy gave the most intelligent answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    It appears so but it is obvious some want a guide to what they can get away with. Others give advice on how to avoid getting caught. It appears that D&G police are policing heavily. There must be a reason. The Heddlu used to patrol the A55 heavily but that seems to have become less intense these days.
    I can vouch for the heavy policing of the A75 and also bottom end (up to Abington) of M74!