Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Motorway Driving

Angry Poor Motorway Driving

Just home from a very wet drive to Firhill Glasgow and two things have wound me up.

1. Drivers who change lanes without bothering to signal.Why do they do it? I was always trained MSM Mirror Signal Manoeuvre. Has this gone out the window? Now its " look out behind cos I,m coming out!" Or I can't be bothered signalling..what car behind me ? I never look in the rear view mirror.

2. Drivers who cut back in , in front of you spraying water in your face ,as if it is illegal to stay out in the outside lane for a second longer. I always stay out in the outside lane for at least 300 yards before moving back into inside lane. It is a simple courtesy and it is dangerous to do otherwise

Ok so that's the rant.

But what can be done about it?

Suggestions.?

And the game was abandoned at half time due to a flooded pitch!

Bill

Welcome to the site Saintee, have a look through the forums and you will find threads relating to our Petty Hates, and the ones you mentioned are in there.

The one that annoys me, is the one where someone overtakes you, then pulls in right in front of you, then slows down??

It's even worse when you and the guy overtaking is in a truck. Some of them seem to take it as a challenge to see how fine they can judge it.

Yes, Santa, I wonder if it is some kind of game some of them play. Although I don't get it with artics, I do get it from those long rigid body lorries towing a trailer the same size as the truck. Or do they just forget they have a trailer on the back? I have had them pass me, very slowly, when I have been doing 70, swinging in before they have completely past, causing me to brake hard to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Yes, Santa, I wonder if it is some kind of game some of them play. Although I don't get it with artics, I do get it from those long rigid body lorries towing a trailer the same size as the truck. Or do they just forget they have a trailer on the back? I have had them pass me, very slowly, when I have been doing 70, swinging in before they have completely past, causing me to brake hard to avoid them.
    Trucks with trailers doing 70? 20 years ago, possibly, although rare. Today - extremely unlikely.

Saintee1952, it isn't just on the motorways; poor driving is everywhere. Question is, is it bottoming out or are we going to be subjected to still worse behaviour in the future? Regarding pulling back in after overtaking, very few drivers seem to realise that, just as they pull in, they can have a sudden vehicle fault that requires an emergency stop. Then ,no doubt, if they have pulled in so close that the now-following driver suddenly finds him-/herself with no stopping distance to safely react, that driver doing the unavoidable shunting will get the blame.

Some years ago, there were reports of drivers of articulated lorries deliberately passing so close that their slipstreams rocked a caravan.
    When towing, I used to drive close to the right hand edge of the nearside lane, and pull well to the left as such lorries got close to my rear.
    I don't know how long this "pastime" lasted, or if it ever happens today - the developments of more effective hitch stabilisers and ATC have made a properly loaded caravan immensely more stable.

Funny thing about drivers - when behind the wheel they are the last to worry about driving badly, but the first to jump in aggressively if someone tells them that their driving is rubbish!

In my experience, it was coaches that worried me more. Their shape, with its low ground clearance, and their higher speed, meant that they created far more of a 'bow wave' than most trucks.

As Snowball says; caravans are more stable these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintee1952 View Post
    Just home from a very wet drive to Firhill Glasgow and two things have wound me up.

1. Drivers who change lanes without bothering to signal.Why do they do it? I was always trained MSM Mirror Signal Manoeuvre. Has this gone out the window? Now its " look out behind cos I,m coming out!" Or I can't be bothered signalling..what car behind me ? I never look in the rear view mirror.

2. Drivers who cut back in , in front of you spraying water in your face ,as if it is illegal to stay out in the outside lane for a second longer. I always stay out in the outside lane for at least 300 yards before moving back into inside lane. It is a simple courtesy and it is dangerous to do otherwise

Ok so that's the rant.

But what can be done about it?

Suggestions.?

And the game was abandoned at half time due to a flooded pitch!

Bill
    Excellent rant Saintee1952 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Trucks with trailers doing 70? 20 years ago, possibly, although rare. Today - extremely unlikely.
    Not on the A75 as I found out a few years ago with McBurneys wagons and Kamikaze drivers from NI. I contacted the, then, Dumfies and Galloway police to make them aware. They said that they were well aware and policed the road intensely.

The A75 is a single carriageway road and the lorries should only be doing 40mph. Many of them will be illegally doing their maximum possible 56mph, because they are running short of time, either for their driving hours, of their ferry departure. Even those not in a hurry will often go fast, simply because they don't want to be the ones holding up their fellow drivers.

The haulage firm I used to work for, loaded three or four McBurney's trailers every evening for NI.