Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New year... new car?

Well, smudger, from my experience with the Ford cars that I have owned, they rot from inside and underneath long before seagull c*ap will work through the paint. Might be a bit better made now, but I won't be chancing it with another Ford.

I bought my second Ford around seven years ago, and ran it for three. It went through the first two MOTs with no problem, and I took the trouble to have it Waxoyled and undersealed. It rusted from the inside, and i got rid of it when I got a note on the last MOT that rust had appeared local to a seat belt mounting. My first Ford was a Mk 4 Executive and that rusted within the first three years of ownership. Ford's response was that I had obviously not been maintaining it correctly or carrying out any of their inspection protocols. I should have learnt first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Well, smudger, from my experience with the Ford cars that I have owned, they rot from inside and underneath long before seagull c*ap will work through the paint. Might be a bit better made now, but I won't be chancing it with another Ford.
    Nor me. I have had more trouble with Fords than I care to mention.

I just love the salesmen who ask how much would you like for your car. You tell them and they go away to see the office monkey. They come back and say sorry we can only give you £xx . The glasses guide gets pulled out more than Portillo and his Bradshaw railway guide. Fully serviced by the dealer, low mileage, no dents, new tyres,12 month MOT and full 12 month tax. Sorry but I will ask the boss again. The monkey is consulted again. He comes back with another £200 if you sign today. I did say I wanted something with a bit of bant the same as my 2.0Ltr but I think the Holden Minaro is just a bit too big an engine at 6 Ltrs. OK say blimp, and consults the monkey again. Well if you buy the Lamborghini we can give you a £10 petrol voucher. We can get you our best deal on finance at just 35% pa for either of those two. I will throw in 12 months warranty that covers everything except the car mechanicals but does include the cigar lighter. I don't think I want to carry on with any sale. OK no problem. I get home and my wife tells me blimp and the monkey have called several times. They continue to do so for weeks after until both cars have gone to auction. I only wanted a basic 1600cc car with a bit of go.
    In real life some of the above is true and the VW dealer I bought my car off still pesters me 4 years later, even though I have told them I do not want to deal with them and to go away in jerky movements.
    The pleasures of buying cars from numbskulls

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Quote..."they rot from inside and underneath long before seagull c*ap will work through the paint."

Aye! but don't forget, on the early Fords, the rust was an optional extra....just like the heater and carpets?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote..."they rot from inside and underneath long before seagull c*ap will work through the paint."

Aye! but don't forget, on the early Fords, the rust was an optional extra....just like the heater and carpets?
    No the optional extra with my Ford Anglia 105E was wellingtons to keep my feet dry from the water coming in from the inner wing when it rained. A right heap as was XR3, Transit van and a Fiesta van.

I forgot about the Transit. I had a minibus converted to a camper for a couple of years. Kept a very careful eye on rust on the bottom half, but it rusted along where the roof joins the side panels. A fist-sized hole appeared between the side door and the window glass behind it when my daughter slammed the door, and a lump of rust fell out. When I checked it out, the roof came away from the side panel between the side door and the rear corner. I don't think there was any paint under the roof lining.