Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I expect a NIP?

Question Should I expect a NIP?

I was driving back from Leeds the other day leading another car back to my home near Durham, and I had overtaken this lorry, the person following me must of 'lost' me and over took and kept going, looking for me, I then sped up in the fast lane looking for her, I pulled infront of her and as I did, about 10 / 15 seconds later I see a police car come from the Fast lane, idle next to me for a second, then pull infront and go into the slow lane, and sped off.

I am sure I was exceeding the speed limit by about 10-15MPH, Let's say 83~, so I was in the wrong here, understood, but it was for a split second to overtake a lorry in the middle lane.

I didn't see the police car behind me while doing this, maybe he was in the middle lane, and moved to the fast lane to see if he could catch me out, I could see there was some sort of computer in his dash, so I would assume he had vehicle checking facilities /ANPR systems.

Since I wasnt pulled I didn't think much of it, it wasnt 'too' busy, I could still of been pulled safely, with him speeding off, I assume he had something better do be doing, but should I be expecting a NIP in the post?

I saw a car being pulled further up the A1 for whatever reason, but it wasnt the same police car.

Also, can you be offered the SAC if you've been driving for under 2 years? (I would be just barely one year).

Thanks in advance..

I don't think you should worry at all. The cops obviously weren't concerned, as they would have stopped you there and then. It is quite possible that he did see you go, and followed you to see if you would keep it up. Since you slowed back down, they lost interest.

As far as I am aware, and our resident policeman may help us here, a patrol would accept that you sped up just to get clear, so long as you dropped back to the limit as soon as you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I don't think you should worry at all. The cops obviously weren't concerned, as they would have stopped you there and then. It is quite possible that he did see you go, and followed you to see if you would keep it up. Since you slowed back down, they lost interest.

As far as I am aware, and our resident policeman may help us here, a patrol would accept that you sped up just to get clear, so long as you dropped back to the limit as soon as you could.

The only reason I was concerned was because I saw him appear out of nowhere after I had already dropped in with the middle lane, and the wagon was behind me, i was also well over the speed limit, which gives me more worries, I hope you're right, and the 'patrol' was forgiving that I only did this for about 100/150 yards to clear some traffic and get back with the other vechile I was leading.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope the resident police man does reply with some hints.

Yea! I agree with Santa, if they wanted to pull you over they would have. They probably ran your details through the system, found you to be OK, and moved on, or were looking for a particular car, that looked like yours.

You should be OK, I know that feeling though, its very unsettling.

It would just annoy me that the one time I would break the barrier just to get past something and catch who I was leading, I would get caught!

We've all done it I guess.

What's the chance for a Speed Awareness Course if I'm caught? I'm 19 in in my first year of driving.

Thanks Guys.

I would not lose any sleep over it for a number of reasons.

1. Most coppers are not really that bothered until someone reaches 90+, well certainly in my old force anyway, and I speak to former colleagues in other forces even now, and that is till their policy

2. They would rather stop you at the time and give you a verbal NIP, as opposed to go through the hassle of having to send out a written NIP within the 14 days.

3. If they were concerned, they would have stopped you and apart from the NIP given you a FPN there and then, as opposed again to have to write up the evidence later in the day.

If possible they will wherever possible do a road side stop, although sometimes it is not always practical.

If they have chosen to report you remotely (in other words without stopping you) then if you have not heard anything within the next 2 - 3 weeks, then you can safely say you are in the clear as any NIP must be sent with a reasonable chance of arriving with you within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence (although there are a couple of exeptions when it can legally be over 14 days)

Oh and by the way, I understand that you are a young and new driver, but please, please try and get out of the habit of referring to Fast and slow lanes. We have a left hand driving lane (lane 1) and 2 overtaking lanes (lanes 2 and 3) which can also be referred to as centre and outside lanes, but there is no such thing as slow and fast lanes, that is a habit of the poorly informed and lazy drivers.

I agree with the other guys, you're almost certainly safe.

If you were caught, then the threshold for a course is normally 110% + 9mph, or 86 in a 70 limit, but it's totally at the discretion of the police. The fact that you're a new driver doesn't matter.

On the negative side, if the police had realised you were trying to catch up with someone they might well have formed the opinion you were racing, which they take VERY seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by TC1474 View Post
    I would not lose any sleep over it for a number of reasons.

1. Most coppers are not really that bothered until someone reaches 90+, well certainly in my old force anyway, and I speak to former colleagues in other forces even now, and that is till their policy

2. They would rather stop you at the time and give you a verbal NIP, as opposed to go through the hassle of having to send out a written NIP within the 14 days.

3. If they were concerned, they would have stopped you and apart from the NIP given you a FPN there and then, as opposed again to have to write up the evidence later in the day.

If possible they will wherever possible do a road side stop, although sometimes it is not always practical.

If they have chosen to report you remotely (in other words without stopping you) then if you have not heard anything within the next 2 - 3 weeks, then you can safely say you are in the clear as any NIP must be sent with a reasonable chance of arriving with you within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence (although there are a couple of exeptions when it can legally be over 14 days)

Oh and by the way, I understand that you are a young and new driver, but please, please try and get out of the habit of referring to Fast and slow lanes. We have a left hand driving lane (lane 1) and 2 overtaking lanes (lanes 2 and 3) which can also be referred to as centre and outside lanes, but there is no such thing as slow and fast lanes, that is a habit of the poorly informed and lazy drivers.
    Thank you for the reassurance, He did speed off quite quickly in the 'outside' most left lane, so I assume he had something better to be doing, maybe he just didnt even notice me, like I said, it was just starting to get dark, beams were needed, I'd of saw the guy behind me, it was completely clear, so he must of just pulled into the right lane to get ahead like I did.

I understand the fustration of the 'slow and fast lanes', But I can see the fit, the 'slow' 'left' lane is primarially used by wagons doing 58, so you would take the 'central / fast(er)' lane to **OVERTAKE**, but in busy periods I generally sit in the middle lane, I'm not sure if that is fully allowed or not, but it's how I've done it for the last 10 months. :P

Thank you again for the reassurance, I'll actually get some sleep over it.

Have a great weekend.

From your comments, I really think that you would do well to invest in some advanced training which includes motorway driving. These three lane roads, with fast and slow traffic, sometimes illegally fast, need a good deal of respect if you are to survive the next few years without being involved in some kind of incident.

It's not just the fast/slow thing, but the cheerful revelation that you are 'hogging' the centre lane. I would also add that, at 80+mph, you probably travelled a good deal more distance than 150 yards.

As a nitpick, I will add that the trucks are limited to 56mph.

I had considered this when I originally passed, I assume I've just got some horrible habits and my ways are 'set' so to speak, after doing alteast 200miles/week, I drove on the motorway by myself on one quiet evening just after I had passed and got used to my cars reactions.

You're probably right about the distance, I would say 6 seconds or so, I was literally overtaking one high-sided vehicle, so approx 300 Yards.

Thanks.