Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: traffic lights query

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    We have some locally where the 'second' light is just in front of the white line, and once passed the line, they are completely out of line of sight. Also, for some strange reason, they are also louvred.
    We have lights at a busy T-junction where, when on the main road and approaching with the side road to the right, there are only lights on the approach side of the junction. If a driver has gone a small distance over the white line, he/she has no way of knowing when the lights change - only by an informed guess when the oncoming traffic starts to move. But what about when there is no oncoming traffic, or there is an oncoming vehicle that moves forward unlawfully.
    We also have a few lights where the GREEN one is shuttered. At certain times of the day, some of these green lights can hardly be seen when they are lit. Also, the shutters often appear to be angled (vandalism?), making the visual apertures even narrower.
    I can't understand the need for shuttering the GREEN - if the red and amber are OK without shuttering, then the green should be.
    Someone told me it was to reduce reflection from sunlight - yet there are now lenses available which have a matt, non-reflective surface. Many LED TV sets have this function.

In many big cities you will find yourself with a fine through the letterbox for stopping in some major Box Junctions.

Theoretically, your Original Post makes sense, I am not sure how this would actually play in the hands of the law. Does the highway code not mention this?

Quote Originally Posted by eastonch View Post
    In many big cities you will find yourself with a fine through the letterbox for stopping in some major Box Junctions.

Theoretically, your Original Post makes sense, I am not sure how this would actually play in the hands of the law. Does the highway code not mention this?
    Yes. See post #5.