Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: traffic lights query

Default traffic lights query

hi all,
    first post so hope its in right section. at traffic lights, if i cross the white stop line while the lights are on green and i am waiting before the yellow junction box because the exit is not clear and as it clears i enter and carry on through to my exit, do i have right of way over cars coming from the side junction to the left? my thoughts are that they should wait until i am clear before they go, and not try to get in front of me as i have right of way.

In Which city did this happen?

It is impossible to answer the question without seeing the exact circumstances.

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’ (PDF, 731KB)). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
    Law TSRGD regs 10(1) & 29(2)

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (download ‘Road markings’ (PDF, 731KB)). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.
    Quite correct, davesdad. Surprising really, that it should be necessary to ask a question clearly outlined in the Highway Code. Perhaps it is worth stressing that there is no such thing as "right of way" - you only have the right to proceed if it is clearly safe to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    If I understand the OP correctly, he/she hasn't actually entered the yellow box, but has crossed the stop line.

The answer is that he/she shouldn't have crossed the stop line - "You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right." Highway Code, 176.

I think the OP may have clouded the issue by saying he had crossed the white line, but was waiting before the yellow box.
    This suggests he had not entered the yellow box, so his crossing of the white line should not be an impediment to any driver coming from his right, thus not an infringement in itself. But he is asking about having traffic coming from his left. If he has a green light, then the drivers from left and right would be at a red stop light. If vehicles are crossing in front of him, his own lights must have changed to red.
    As he is only asking about drivers from his left, I am wondering if he has actually entered the yellow box before he has a clear exit over the box and to the other side, in which case he would be infringing the rules by being there, and that the lights have changed to red for him, and GREEN for vehicles crossing from left or right of him. He would then be obstructing traffic flow from his right, unless he was in a central reservation of a dual carriageway that crossed from left to right. But I cannot think of ever seeing a white line in this position.
    The OPs description doesn't seem sufficiently explanatory to me.

To be honest, it seems that the OP had crossed the white line at the lights, and could not or did not see his lights turn to red. The further light should still have been visible though?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    In Which city did this happen?

It is impossible to answer the question without seeing the exact circumstances.
    It's very easy to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    To be honest, it seems that the OP had crossed the white line at the lights, and could not or did not see his lights turn to red. The further light should still have been visible though?!
    Many junctions don't have secondary lights. Another good reason not to cross the line except when you can clear the whole junction.

We have some locally where the 'second' light is just in front of the white line, and once passed the line, they are completely out of line of sight. Also, for some strange reason, they are also louvred.