Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: info about new motorway laws for 2013

Snowball - I freely admit that I have frequently taken a laissez-faire attitude to the letter of the law, it is important to give accurate answers to specific questions. When someone asks, "Is it legal to overtake on the inside?" The answer is as we have discussed above, and would seem to be largely up to the individual driver to justify.

If, however, someone asks, "What are the speed limits on a motorway?" Then there is a correct and factual answer that does not allow for individual decisions.

Knowledge is always useful. Wisdom is understanding the correct application of it.

Santa, I think that the HC does reasonably give indications where it is safe and acceptable to pass on the inside (a much better description than 'overtake', in my humble opinion). Other variations of what the HC gives, but not descriptive in the Code, are very probably close variations of the Code. I accept that various drivers will see things slightly differently but, if they are acting in a safe manner which cannot be construed as contrary to the law and the HC., then there is nothing to justify.

Where I would criticise 'individual decision' is when such decisions can, with no uncertainty, be described as contrary to the law and the HC.

Having the knowledge in the first place is key. I agree that wisdom provides the correct use of it; but wisdom also helps one to know when there are circumstances that mean the knowledge won't work.

When I did my epic trip joining the M23 clockwise to M42 when I virtually sailed round the whole thing in Lane 1 whilst 2 and 3 were stop/go, I really did begin to wonder and doubt whether my reading of the HC in these circumstances was correct. Why weren't folks moving over and - even more concerning why did a good number let me out into lane 2 to overtake lorries and not follow me back? If they'd been watching their mirrors, they'd have seen me trochling along in lane 1 at around 30mph. The fact that, on approach, to M42 when everyone was at stop/go, the cop car appeared next to me and wound down window (heart sank!), all they said to me is that the cameras had monitored my progress, I'd done nothing wrong but I was a bit obvious. Got a grin and a wave and on our way!! Even spoke to the local traffic pollis back home and they said it was fine under those circumstances and admitted that it had caused a lot of amusement - well, thanks!

There's a huge difference between that speed and some of the situations described. Personally, I'd use the overtaking (i.e. lanes 2 and 3 to get past a lane 2 hogger. Drivers are so unpredictable to pass at speed on the left on an otherwise free-ish flowing m-way is not safe.

You are quite right FJ. Of course I am sure you know that that option is not available to lorries and caravanners.

Please allow me to mention again the case of gritting lorries driving in the middle lane.

It is perfectly legal for vehicles to pass them on the inside lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Please allow me to mention again the case of gritting lorries driving in the middle lane.

It is perfectly legal for vehicles to pass them on the inside lane.
    When these wagons are performing this function on motorways, they usually have two large discs at the rear which are white arrows on a blue background and are set to indicate that it is safe to pass on either side.

You have to remember that there is a lot of left hand trucks on our roads these days, driven by drivers who are not familiar with driving on the right hand side of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    You have to remember that there is a lot of left hand trucks on our roads these days, driven by drivers who are not familiar with driving on the right hand side of the road?
    Or vice versa, it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Wow, smudger, you mean they bring them over here because they're not familiar with driving on their own correct side of the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Or vice versa, it would seem.
    And "vice versa" would then mean our own UK drivers have the same problems here?
    Sheems like we've shtarted Chrishmash early!