Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: info about new motorway laws for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by steve1432 View Post
    How long have the new regulations been in place for the motorway as I read you can now get points and fined for certain things such as hogging the middle lane - http://www.centralcontracts.com/news...ulations-10881

Also, is this not hard to police? I'd think that this would be hard to police if there is a number of people doing it like often is the way.
    As has been stated before, these are not new laws coming into force, for example, centre lane hogging has always been an offence and comes under section 3 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act (and before that the 72 act) of driving without reasonable consideration for other road users, which is a subsection of careless driving.

I was booking drivers for this offence as far back as the early 80's, but with the demise of many traffic divisions, there were not and have not been the resources to enforce it.

It is a very easy offence to enforce, and whilst some may put up arguments about when it is safe to return to lane 1, in most cases they are pretty weak arguments, especially in the early hours of the morning when you get the lazy driver doing 60 in lane 2 on an empty Motorway.

However, what has changed is the way it is enforced. Previously, anyone reported for such offences had to be summonsed to appear before the courts. Now it can be dealt with by fixed penalty which saves time and money, but the offender still has the option to reject the offer of a fixed penalty and plead their innocence before a court as before.

But in all the case I have dealt with and the hundreds of drivers I have booked for this offence (under the old system) they knew they were guilty and never contested the case, and that will probably hold true today.

The last one I ever dealt with was a chap who was sat in lane 2 of the M4 at about 8pm one night. It was dark, the Motorway was quiet and he was in lane 2 doing about 50. I came up behind him and gave him a headlight flash. He ignored me. I flashed him again at which point I got the finger. So with that, on went my strobes. Immediately he was into lane 1 and you could see the colour drain from his face even though it was dark.

Suffice to say, he was given a tug, and the **** and bull story he gave me about what the Highway code states regarding lane discipline was a work of art. He was adamant that lane 2 was the driving lane.

By the time he got to court, his attitude had changed somewhat, guilty plea and he was disqualified for 3 months. Don't think he ever did it again.

But back to the original point, it is the way it is enforced that has changed, not new laws that have been introduced. But as has been said, this only works if you have experience and sufficient crews to Police the Motorways.

That post says it all! Though have to say that parts of M74 (and middle lane hogging is quite a favourite on parts of it) is usually well policed.

I'll never forgot seven of us in vintage cars all early 1920s being forced into the very outside lane on the M6 over Shap back in the 80s because of one driver of seriously limited brain power driving at 50 in the centre lane. We were cruising at 55/60mph and this was an almost empty motorway! Crazy!

You know them large Information and Warning Signs that are beside the motorways, wouldn't it be a good idea if a car that has been picked up on the overhead CCTV cameras, doing something dangerous or just plain stupid, had their registration number lit up on them signs, giving them a warning?

I think that would be a great idea, as them boards only get used for bad weather, or lane closures ahead, and that would make full use of them.

Sorry guys, I misread the original article, and wrongly 'assumed' that they were new laws.

I remember reading a letter that someone copied from the Sun. The letter was from an irate car driver who had been driving up the M6 in the early hours of the morning. He said that he was driving at an economical and safe 50mph in the centre lane, when some madman of a truck driver came up behind him flashing his lights to overtake.

The car driver wasn't going to be intimidated and stuck it out for several miles until he eventually left the motorway, at which point he was astonished to find that the madman behind him, sounding his horn and flashing, was the driver of a petrol tanker.

The paper added a comment to the effect that such people should not be allowed to drive dangerous cargoes on Britain's motorways.

There's a raft of offences in that scenario, Santa. The car driver in the centre lane without a valid reason, and refusing to pull over. The tanker driver tailgating, and himself creating a threat of danger when driving a highly inflammable cargo.
    Wonder why the tanker driver did not simply continue onwards in the left hand lane? Looking for an excuse to behave aggressively, perhaps?
    Problem is, some drivers think that road traffic laws do not apply at quiet hours (some at any time!). All this bad behaviour just adds to the string of reasons to give authority the opportunity to justify evermore increasing regulations, which then add to the chances of breaking a rule that earns fines and points, which in turn gives insurers the opportunity to further bump up the miscreants' premiums.

Do any of these drivers ever stop and wonder why it is that they are getting fines and points whilst their driving neighbours are enjoying clean licences, and premiums that are not 'loaded'? Do any of them go home with a bent car, and think, "now if I hadn't been so stupid, this wouldn't have happened"?
    Oh, no, silly me. it's always the other guys fault, of course!

I doubt that the tanker driver was 'tailgating' the car driver. He was just unable to overtake legally. He is not allowed in the third lane, and overtaking on the inside in these circumstances, was then, and still is against the law.

Tanker drivers, especially at night when traffic is low, are expected to work to fairly tight deadlines. He wanted to drive at his maximum speed of 56mph but was being baulked by a slow and arrogant car driver. Had there been any police around, I have no doubt that the car driver would have been stopped.

There was only one offence - the car driver failing to use the correct lane.

......when some madman of a truck driver came up behind him flashing his lights......
    This sentence, especially the word "madman" leads a reader to the conclusion that the tanker driver was tailgating the car. If so, an offence is being committed. In addition, if the behaviour of the tanker driver was causing a serious risk of an RTC resulting, then committing an offence of at least driving without due care and attention would apply. And the car driver clearly in breech of motorway regulations.
    Of course, anything is all supposition, because the true facts rest on how truthful were the claims of the car driver. In driving in the manner as he himself describes, he must be an abysmally incompetent driver, and probably one who can only see reasons to criticise other road users whilst, at the same time, unable to accept that he himself was in any way in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    and overtaking on the inside in these circumstances, was then, and still is against the law.
    You have made a statement of fact, please provide act and section that say it is illegal to overtake on the inside lane on a Motorway?

Where does it say that a nearside overtake is illegal (and please do not say the Highway Code) because it mentions nothing about it being an offence and in any case is not a legal requirement unless supported by an act and section or traffic regulation.

Quote...."There was only one offence - the car driver failing to use the correct lane."

Aye! he should have pulled over to the nearside lane, especially when driving on a motorway at that slow speed, and I cant see him overtaking anything on the nearside lane at that speed?