Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: info about new motorway laws for 2013

Default info about new motorway laws for 2013

How long have the new regulations been in place for the motorway as I read you can now get points and fined for certain things such as hogging the middle lane - http://www.centralcontracts.com/news...ulations-10881

Also, is this not hard to police? I'd think that this would be hard to police if there is a number of people doing it like often is the way.

July. Widely publicised on TV and in the press.

Generally, I have no problem with the new rules. My only reservation, as I have said on a previous topic, is how the police would measure the difference between when it is not hogging the middle lane whilst overtaking, and when it is hogging. There will be variations between drivers regarding what length of gap from an overtaken vehicle to the vehicle in front of it constitutes one where the overtaking driver should pull back into the left hand lane.
    For example, if a driver holding a steady 70 mph overtakes a truck travelling at 55mph, and there is another truck further ahead travelling at the same speed (both trucks in the left hand lane), what does he do if there is a vehicle catching up with him from the rear, and he knows that, if he pulls in, that vehicle catching up will probably be alongside him by the time he needs to pull out again?
    He could be forced into braking hard. He knows there is enough distance to pull in, and then out again, if that vehicle was not coming up fast from behind. But he also knows that to remain in the middle lane and ignore the opportunity to pull in makes the situation safer. In this kind of situation, if the law says that he must pull in, then it is really saying that he must still pull in and create an advantage for a driver who is exceeding the legal speed limit, and at a disadvantage to himself.
    Correctly indicating does not resolve matters, since I think we are all aware of drivers regularly ignoring indicators; not because it isn't safe to do give precedence, but because they have a mind set which forbids them to show due consideration.
    This is one of those cases where legislation is being applied on the basis that everyone will obey the law. How gullible!

Aye! I know what you mean, you are in the middle lane, overtaking large trucks, and there is a car right behind you, (normally too close?) but you want to stay there until you overtake the ones further ahead, this is where it gets complicated?

The driver behinds you gets impatient, and thinks you are lane hogging? It is going to be hard to police this, as previously mentioned?

The report in the link above begins:

"2013 saw the introduction of laws making it an offence to drive on a British motorway in a careless manner. The range of offences covered by this law is extremely wide, ranging from dangerous behaviour – such as tailgating, to more subjective acts such as ‘not being in full control of the vehicle."

This is, frankly, rubbish. It has been an offence to drive in a careless manner on a motorway for as long as there have been motorways, and on other roads for much longer. There have been NO NEW LAWS introduced.

What has been introduced is the ability for the police to deal with the existing offence of careless driving by means of a fixed penalty, rather than having to report the driver for summons to court.

As has been said, this will be difficult to police - but no more or less than it has always been.

The report also mentions dangerous behaviour. The law makes a clear distinction between "careless" and "dangerous" driving, and the latter will still have to go to court.

Remember the ad "don't be a weaver bird" ? Let's face it there are nutters out there that flout all the rules because they are superior beings. Then there are mugs that stick to the rules like 99.9999% of contributors to these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1432 View Post
    How long have the new regulations been in place for the motorway as I read you can now get points and fined for certain things such as hogging the middle lane - http://www.centralcontracts.com/news...ulations-10881

Also, is this not hard to police? I'd think that this would be hard to police if there is a number of people doing it like often is the way.
    They have lots of CCTV cameras overlooking the Motorways you know. Some of them are quite inconspicuous.

I'm completely in favour of this - even if it can be a bit annoying in some ways, new laws can make a difference - just look at how much highway deaths have come down in the US in recent years: http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...ys-since-1995/

There are a lot of idiots on the road and any effort to remove/control them will be highly beneficial for everyone else.

The Laws already existed to deal with these characters, we do not need new specific laws full of loopholes. What we want are marked Police on the roads to catch them, or, preferably, deter them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    The Laws already existed to deal with these characters, we do not need new specific laws full of loopholes. What we want are marked Police on the roads to catch them, or, preferably, deter them.
    It's not new specific laws though.
    It's making it easier to deal with the offences,that's all.