Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Car tax discs to be replaced by electronic system

Good news, I actually got my phone changed over at last! It seems, the fact that I was keeping my old phone totally bamboozled their whole system?

All sorted out now though.

Glad for you, Smudger.

With the greatest of respect, possibly because I haven't pointed it out clearly enough, technology is only as good as (a) the people inputting the information; (b) the ease of availability of Internet access and (c) the ability to use computer technology. The supreme arrogance of a government of any variety - or major firms, etc., - that everyone can both access and use the Internet - is insulting, particularly when (as has happened in Argyll & Bute) coverage is so abysmal - even on the mainland - as to put us down below the average in some countries that might be considered third world. Mobile coverage is not far distant from that.

Even some really sensible people on this forum seem unable to comprehend just how bad these services are (and I know it's not just here but does include not-spots in some major cities as well as other rural areas) and come up with frankly standard answers without recognising the complications of their answers - for example, your local PO (about to be closed), snail mail - totally unreliable in last two weeks, not coz of RM but the weather stopping ferries! Since 5th December, we've either had no power, intermittent landlines, no mobile networks - get real. If there's no power, nothing works - you can't buy food, fuel or do any bank transactions. You can't get cash out to pay - just think about - how many issues have major banks had with glitches recently? You can have as many accounts as you like but you can't pay your bills and then you accumulate charges which are not your fault at all.

So I have been hit by another car and no tax disc. Oh, check on line - but we've no power or no Internet, no landline and no mobile -HOW? Oh there's no ferries so no snail mail, No good having a separate account when the power goes out.

FJ, you have just given a prime example of the points that I have been trying to put across. Some posters seem to have already been indoctrinated by government's bumblers, and show no appreciation of the problems facing many of the ordinary Joe Public.
    1. Internet facilities are not available to all - and the unavailability affects a significant number of people.
    2. It is not a legal requirement that all UK citizens are computer literate, and attempting to force it through by default is totally unacceptable.
    3. At any one time, there are numbers of foreign drivers using our roads, and these people are more unlikely than not, to be carrying mobile internet facilities. Even then, finding their way to the correct information on the correct site would be a major hurdle.
    4. What could be more simple for these people than being able to look at the printed tax disc (and for the average UK citizen for that matter)?

Just because one section of society, even if it is a majority, enjoys being "computerised", along with all the other bells and whistles, Ipods, game consoles and the like, does not give the government licence to demand that everyone follows suit - 'demand' being the result if this becomes the only means.

I became "computerised" due to my Company going down that route; myself being compelled to quickly learn four different computer languages. That,s how I came to have my first computer - I needed it to obtain the time required to achieve the necessary skills for continuing in my job. Some of my colleagues never reached a satisfactory level, and always needed some assistance.
    I was fortunate, and have acclimatised to using the internet. But my wife cannot cope with it, and is a little fearful of it. If she were on her own, IT-only access would be an unsolvable nightmare for her, and I think the number in the same situation is in the millions. In addition, apart from the technical aspect, there are many who would find buying and running a computer a significant drain on their purse.
    Simply because I can use the internet does not give me the right to claim that everyone else must have that ability. Are not we already pigeon-holed enough???

Aye! I can remember when working over seas, that of there is no power,....nothing can be done? (especially if you are a welding instructor?)

In fact, if we had power and water, both on at the same day, that was a luxury?

I was away at the far end of the site, we had no phones, radio/TV no newspapers (written in English) totally isolated, and it was the same in the flat where they placed me to live, out of working hours, and that was 16 miles from the site.

FJ, I do understand the difficulties faced by those of you who can be cut off from the services that the rest of us take for granted. What I don't understand is why an ordinary person (ie, not someone who needs to be constantly in touch with ... whatever) would be so concerned by it all. Even the elderly understand and use monthly direct debits, and while there may be temporary problems with a few banks; for the most part, they work pretty well.

I am sure that you prepare for things like being cut off by bad weather. If your power supply is likely to be cut off, you will have some other way of keeping warm and fed. You will not expect next-day deliveries from the likes of Amazon. Etc etc. Surely all of this is really one of the attractions of living on an island?
    So I have been hit by another car and no tax disc. Oh, check on line - but we've no power or no Internet, no landline and no mobile -HOW?
    I would ask WHY? When I have been involved in a collision, I never thought, or needed to check the tax on the other car. Insurance to be sure, if he had it with him, but the reg No. name and address was sufficient. These days, a photo of the car and the other driver as well is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I would ask WHY? When I have been involved in a collision, I never thought, or needed to check the tax on the other car. Insurance to be sure, if he had it with him, but the reg No. name and address was sufficient. These days, a photo of the car and the other driver as well is a bonus.
    But, if the vehicle is not taxed, and thus probably not MoT'd, do not some insurers try to use this (successfully?) by claiming that the insurance certificate for the offending car is invalid?

Why would that matter to you? If the car that hits yours is uninsured then it will be passed to the uninsured cars system. In any case it makes no difference whether you know that the VED has or has not been paid. That is a matter for the police, the 3rd party's insurance and the 3rd party.

I repeat. I can see no reason at all for me, as the victim in a collision, to check anyone's tax disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    FJ, I do understand the difficulties faced by those of you who can be cut off from the services that the rest of us take for granted. What I don't understand is why an ordinary person (ie, not someone who needs to be constantly in touch with ... whatever) would be so concerned by it all. Even the elderly understand and use monthly direct debits, and while there may be temporary problems with a few banks; for the most part, they work pretty well.

I am sure that you prepare for things like being cut off by bad weather. If your power supply is likely to be cut off, you will have some other way of keeping warm and fed. You will not expect next-day deliveries from the likes of Amazon. Etc etc. Surely all of this is really one of the attractions of living on an island?

As regards D/Ds, I both understand and use them; the trouble arises when, after a power outage which means the bank cannot process them and the receiving account can and does automatically start proceedings - been there, done that several times with the Council Tax. Now, you would think that our precious Council would be able to figure out that if a fair bulk of Argyll has no power, they aren't going to get the payments on time but their computer system doesn't work this one out, so individual people are put to a ridiculous amount of expense (and much taxpayer money) to sort out an issue which - even when the power's back on and money in - is automatic and results in a Court summons! That's a system failure but one individuals and the tax payer end up getting stuffed with extra costs. You gotta laugh but even our power supplier, SSE, tried this once with overdue payment charges - you can imagine what I said to that one!!!!

Yes, we are prepared for bad weather and being cut off - it's accepted. However, it is fair to say that, unless there is widespread devastation, most people in most areas will be able to purchase food and fuel and get money out. If this happens here, we have no choice. That's why the car's kept fuelled up and we have lots of basic food items stocked.

No, never ask for next day delivery on anything - but Amazon often does turn up trumps and that's down to RM - assuming ferries running!!

To turn to your point about my checking for a valid tax disc - a few years back - in England - my parked car was hit by a delivery wagon - the driver was forced to stop by witnesses and someone noticed the tax disc was out of date. Aside from the fact that the company admitted liability, the out of date tax disc started a major inquiry and resulted in not just restitution of all my expenses as expected but a fairly hefty cost to the company. I know full well that there are people driving around without having paid tax or insurance and I do now check tax discs. I abide by the law as best I can but many people don't. I regret to say, we have a fair few and I, as an honest individual, don't see why we should not have to right to check on the spot that a vehicle is legal.

As regards, the photo situation, the Law is very vague and whilst you can take photos of the location and all for the police, you are on dubious grounds if you include a photo of individuals without their permission and post them elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    As regards, the photo situation, the Law is very vague and whilst you can take photos of the location and all for the police, you are on dubious grounds if you include a photo of individuals without their permission and post them elsewhere.
    FJ, this comment reminded me of a press article of two or three years ago.
    A woman, whose husband spent quite a lot of time abroad in the course of his work, visited a travel agent and picked up the brochure for their next year's holiday. Looking through the brochure, she spotted her husband basking at the side of a resort's swimming pool, accompanied by a very dishy companion. According to the text, the plans for a holiday changed to divorce proceedings. Just shows how an innocent photo-shoot can produce shattering results.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post

I don't believe the law (in the UK) is vague at all. In general, there is no restriction on photographing anyone or anything in any public place. There is specific anti-terror legislation, but after applying it over-enthusiastically the Met Police were forced to clarify the law thus:

"Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel".

Again, there is nothing to stop you publishing a photo of anyone, provided you do not defame them, e.g. by mis-representation.

If permission was required, it would be very difficult for the newspapers to publish any photos at all, let alone those with crowds of spectators or passers-by.

Photography on private land or premises is of course a different matter, and there is no shortage of jobsworths who will try to stop you for all manner of spurious reasons.