Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car tax discs to be replaced by electronic system

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone! Our Head of External Affairs has commented to the press on the matter today so I wanted to share that with you:

RAC head of external affairs Pete Williams said: “This really does mark the end of an era and many motorists may even feel cheated from not receiving an official ‘public’ certification that shows their car is legal to use the nation’s roads. However, in reality this should make little material difference as long as it doesn't hinder enforcement.

“It is right that we move with the times and with high proportions of our daily transactions happening online, including millions of people already using the government’s web-based system to register, pay and order their tax disc, this should not be too much of a shock.

“There will no doubt be a great deal of nostalgia in the years to come looking back on the role the tax disc played in our annual motoring lives. In fact this can already be seen with the thousands of classic car owners who have pre-1966 vehicles but still display a tax disc despite being exempted from the annual road tax.”

Quote............"The change will save 7 million and a lot of admin. That's small beer for the government, but, to quote a supermarket ad, every little helps."

Aye! it seems to to be a lot of bother just to save 7 million, that is only a fraction of what the government gives away to foreign aid every year?

All the nostalgia for the tax disc is a bit misplaced - it was no doubt the best system available system when introduced in 1921 but it was always wide open to fraud and evasion.

In 2007 it was estimated that 6% of vehicles were untaxed: with the systems now in place that's been reduced to 0.6%

Replace it with insurance and mot disc`s

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    Replace it with insurance and mot disc`s
    It hasn't worked for VED, so why would it work for MOT and insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    It hasn't worked for VED, so why would it work for MOT and insurance?
    When you consider how personal on line banking and the financial world successfully operate, it is obvious that it isn't the technology that doesn't work - it's the government's inability to get it right, along with employing the wrong IT people to set it up. History has shown this time and time again.

I am sorry but I really cannot get my head round the objections. If you run a car then there are things that you have to do, minor maintenance, servicing, MOT, insurance, VED.

I cannot believe that anyone who owns and runs a car will have any problem with this. If you can pay rent/mortgage, rates, water, car loan, TV licence, home insurance, gas/electricity, I don't see any problem with paying VED. If you want to, it will be possible to pay monthly by DD. This will remove the problem of remembering.

I agree Santa, you are right.

I seem to remember a news story a while ago where a 'gang' was arrested and prosecuted for printing forged tax discs. It was alleged that their scam made them milliions of pounds. So it would make one criminal activity redundant.
    I have never seen anyone scrutinize a tax disc on a parked vehicle, or a driven one. Only after a vehicle was stopped have I seen a tax disc properly studied, So in a sense, I think they are a waste of time. I still hold to my belief though that there are too few ANPR vehicles on the road, and to me, this will encourage more people to take the chance of getting away with it.

Remember that this is a linked to registration, MOT and insurance. If you 'forget' to renew your insurance, and don't declare SORN, you will get a warning after two weeks, followed by a NIP if you don't sort it out. I am sure that the same system will apply to VED.

Within maybe 12 months, I expect the law will be that if you are the keeper of an un-SORNed car that does not have all three things, you will get a knock on the door.
    Last edited by Santa; 07-12-13 at 12:09.