Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car tax discs to be replaced by electronic system

Default Car tax discs to be replaced by electronic system

As part of the Autumn Statement it was revealed that the paper car tax disc is set to become a thing of the past, as a new electronic system is introduced. http://ow.ly/rtmaG

A good idea or not?

Why remove my original post on this posted over 2 hrs ago?????

Hi davesdad,

That post's still up, we haven't removed it: http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...sting-the-news

Sorry for the duplication

Reading the link, methinks the governments Jobsworths have been at work again.
    "......You'll still get a reminder in the post a few weeks before it runs out........"
    Our post goes astray regularly, although the neighbours push it through our door when it happens, as we do for others. I don't think we are alone with this situation, and can all those who are be sure that they have reliable/honest neighbours?
    What about the "reminders" that don't arrive, due to being lost in post, or not being sent in the first place? We can guess who 'carries the can' for that, can't we? - more fines for the registered keepers!

"......And you'll be able to check how long you've got left on line......."
    What about those registered keepers who do not have on line facilities? Or is the government's pipe dream of everyone being on line going to extend to compulsory signing up to a server?

What about RTCs where it doesn't require the attendance of the police, or reporting to them? How does an aggrieved third party establish that a vehicle is taxed because, if it isn't, then there is a likelihood that insurance and/or MoT might also not exist. With no tax disc to check, the number plate might be false, the driver could give a false name and address, leaving the third party with the risk of his/her insurer taking a 'tough luck' approach, and refusing to accept any liability.

Well, going by what we hear about these I.T breakdowns, causing chaos in the recent bank incident for example, as well as many other computerised government departments, I would say it was not a bright move to computerise that system?

Even that ANPR systems in the cop cars, has been proved to be wrong, causing frustration for legally insured drivers, when they are pulled over, and charged for not having car insurance, when they actually do?

Leave it alone, why change it just for the sake of change?

smudger, your, "Leave it alone, why change it just for the sake of change", is a very wise observation, particularly when considering how many computerised government systems have suffered technical chaos - not to mention exorbitant expense.

Don't throw away old discs as they will have collecter value eventually as all things do.

You reckon, Trainman? Somewhere I still have a couple of tax discs from before the expiry date was shown in large characters. have to scout around in the loft sometime!

What a bunch of technophobes.

When you pay your VED - just make a note. Print a card for the windscreen, I don't know. How do you remember to pay your fuel bills?

I hear that it will be possible to pay monthly by DD. That way you can just forget it.

The change will saye 7 million and a lot of admin. That's small beer for the government, but, to quote a supermarket ad, every little helps.

I here what you say, Santa, but I am thinking of those who rely on the 'official nudge', more than for myself. for example, my car insurance expires on December 10, but I already have my new 12 months certificate arrived and paid for.

I am thinking more about the wooden heads at "head office". They say you'll get a reminder, but what if the reminder doesn't come through? People will have been encouraged to wait for it - and many will; that's human nature. However, it will be difficult to get officialdom to accept that the fault rests with them. And if it reached court level, we know who would be the losers.

Checking what time is left sounds easy - and it is for some. I spent my career in an environment where self-discipline, and literacy were crucial to the job. But all people are not in that situation - there are drivers who legitimately hold a driving licence and who find reading and writing a chore, never mind dealing with their budgeting arrangements. I also know of people much younger than myself who would cringe at the thoughts of using a computer, let alone going on line. Putting a self-note on the windscreen is good, BTW.

In spite of technological advancement, there will always be a section of society who are skilful at craft work or manual labour, but with no ability to deal with computers. This is not a crime - it's part of human society - and the government should not forget that. It is their job to appreciate the needs and limitations of all society; not freeze out a section for consideration because of their limitations.
    Take that attitude to its extreme and......... Hello, Adolf!