Thread: MOT expired 1 day before road tax

Default MOT expired 1 day before road tax

Hi,
    Can't find a similar thread so will ask:
    My MOT expired last week, a few days before the tax also ran out. Had hectic 2 days running around getting an MOT, but unfortunately it needed a re-test with a weekend inbetween and so the re-test was done on the 2nd of the month (it passed flying colours). Tax obviously expired on the 1st of the month! Now what??
    I'm trying to give the DVLA money here, but looks like they don't want it. Surely I dont have to SORN it for a whole month?

I thought that if you taxed it today or tomorrow at the Post Office, they would backdate it to start at the beginning of December.

They backdate the tax Rolebama, but not if the MOT isn't valid on the day the tax starts. My MOT re-test (because of the intervening weekend) was on the 2nd Dec .. :-(

I am sorry, I did not realize that was the problem. It is not one I have ever come across, and I have MOTd and taxed cars like that before, but maybe it had just never been picked up on by the person at the Post Office. I can only suggest an email to DVLA explaining the circumstances, and see what they say.

That sounds promising, never been picked up on before. I will now try a different Post Office! Have also phoned the MOT test centre who said it should not have been refused. Will post back if successful. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by HondaDave View Post
    They backdate the tax Rolebama, but not if the MOT isn't valid on the day the tax starts. My MOT re-test (because of the intervening weekend) was on the 2nd Dec .. :-(
    Try at the Post Office. In my experience they only give the MOT cert a cursory glance.

I think that it is not possible to do it online in these circumstances. I am confident that a PO will do it for you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...-your-tax-disc

Since 17 July 2013, when you renew your vehicle tax or when your new car is taxed for the first time, you now have up to 14 days to display the new tax disc on the vehicle. Under the old rules, you had just 5 days to do this.

For renewals, this extended period will only apply when your application to renew your tax disc is made before the previous one expires. If the application is made after the current disc expires, then the vehicle will be treated as untaxed and the 14 day rule will not apply.
    Last edited by Santa; 03-12-13 at 18:20.

Thanks everyone... Took it to a different post office where they accepted it straightaway. The MOT test centre guy did say that the first post office woman was in the wrong, so now we know..