Thread: Annual limit

Angry Annual limit

Hi, had to come and join up so that I could voice my annoyance before checking out recovery options other than the rac. I never thought I would be shopping around as I've been with the RAC for 15 years. Until now I thought they were great.

I had no idea there was an annual limit of 7 call outs as I have never used more than 2-4 in a year in all years before this. In fact I got a great discount on my monthly payments earlier this year as I hadn't used their services at all for 2 years previously. This year I've had a bit of bad luck with my car and used them 6 times. I got a letter yesterday warning me I had 1 use left and then there would be charges after that! Not happy!

I rang what I think was customer retentions and the bloke on the phone made no attempt to keep me on as a customer, just vaguely agreed that I would probably have to leave them if I wasn't happy with that limit. I explained that I was a long term customer who has paid for services for 15 years, only really using them for this last year and does that not count for anything? NO, it doesn't! Or that I hadn't used them for 2 years previous, surely there should be leeway for this sort of situation? All that money for nothing.

I'm on my own, no family around, no friends with cars and having the rac has made me feel safer over the years, but now I'm looking into other options as this is ridiculous. My car insurance company have an option for something along the lines of a recovery sevice but I will need to check details as I don't want to find hidden costs at a later date.

I'm in Northern Ireland and we are limited with choices here. Sorry for length of post but I'm fuming!. I'd appreciate any help or thoughts, thanks.

I can only say that when I worked for the AA, it was calculated, from live data recorded, that, on average, less than 10% of the membership were responsible for over 75% of the calls. I personally pulled out members who had over 400 calls in a year! The usual story, because they did not have the bottle to sort out the bad eggs, the majority suffered for the actions of the minority. We, the Patrols, tried to get a bit of discretion about excess calls when garages had failed to properly diagnose, but it was pointed out that we were employees, and our voices meant nothing. This was not that long before they went commercial.

ploppy
    We do appreciate your loyalty but equally we have to be fair to all customers and try to keep the cost of your annual policy as low as possible.
    It is noted in your copy of our T&C's that we operate a "faircall policy". The annual quota starts at 5 calls per year and increases if you have been a loyal mbr or if there are multiple people covered on the policy. To be honest 1 callout, a long distance recovery and a hire car etc can outweigh the cost of an annual policy, so if you times this by 7 calls per year, the risk is significant. We will provide assistance when you ask us to, and if you exceed your entitlement we will still provide service but this will be on a pay-on-use basis.
    Angela

To be honest, if my car broke down three times in twelve months, I would be having a serious word with my garage. If it was not their poor maintenance, I would be changing the car.

I think we would all agree that there has to be some limit - we may disagree about where it should be set.

Quote Originally Posted by ploppy View Post
    Hi, had to come and join up so that I could voice my annoyance before checking out recovery options other than the rac. I never thought I would be shopping around as I've been with the RAC for 15 years. Until now I thought they were great.

I had no idea there was an annual limit of 7 call outs as I have never used more than 2-4 in a year in all years before this. In fact I got a great discount on my monthly payments earlier this year as I hadn't used their services at all for 2 years previously. This year I've had a bit of bad luck with my car and used them 6 times. I got a letter yesterday warning me I had 1 use left and then there would be charges after that! Not happy!

I rang what I think was customer retentions and the bloke on the phone made no attempt to keep me on as a customer, just vaguely agreed that I would probably have to leave them if I wasn't happy with that limit. I explained that I was a long term customer who has paid for services for 15 years, only really using them for this last year and does that not count for anything? NO, it doesn't! Or that I hadn't used them for 2 years previous, surely there should be leeway for this sort of situation? All that money for nothing.

I'm on my own, no family around, no friends with cars and having the rac has made me feel safer over the years, but now I'm looking into other options as this is ridiculous. My car insurance company have an option for something along the lines of a recovery sevice but I will need to check details as I don't want to find hidden costs at a later date.

I'm in Northern Ireland and we are limited with choices here. Sorry for length of post but I'm fuming!. I'd appreciate any help or thoughts, thanks.
    Do you not understand the concept of an insurance policy.

Try claiming on your car insurance 7 times in a year, then expect to pay the same or slightly more on renewal. Or go to them and say "Please don't put my premium up, I know I have claimed 7 times this year but I didn't claim for the previous 5 years".

Quote....."I would be changing the car."

I would have got rid of any car, that broke down half as often as that?

As an AA Patrol, I went out a few times to new cars which repeatedly broke down despite assurances from dealers and manufacturers that they had traced and repaired re-occurring faults. When it was realized that we were attending the same problems on the same vehicles, manufacturers were contacted who instantly denied knowledge of any problems.* So the owner ends up with a car that does not do as expected, and in an unsaleable condition until someone, somewhere finds a fix, which can mean months in some instances.
    *The exception to this was Peugeot when we reported a lock and alarm problem on early 306s. They came up with a repair very quickly.

How many similar instances of dealers failing to diagnose have appeared on this Forum?