Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renew photocard driving licence: What if stopped by police before I get new licence?

Default Renew photocard driving licence: What if stopped by police before I get new licence?

When I renew my photocard driving licence, which expires in December 2014, do I have to send the photocard AND the paper licence to DVLA?

If so, then I will have nothing in my possession to show to the police if stopped while driving.

The HM Government's website states that the police can fine the driver for not producing a driving licence within 7 days, yet it can take up to three weeks for the new licence to arrive? Can anyone please clarify this?

NB: This is not a renewal due to turning the age of 70. The paper licence doesn't expire till 2016.

Take a photocopy of the card and the paper part. The police can check online if they need to.

In my experience it only takes a few days if nothing has changed. Note that if you have a passport, they can use the picture on that for your licence.

They will charge you 20 for the new style license! Which is a real rip-off, as they have changed the rules now, so that you have to renew your license every 10 years now, at a cost of 20 each time..........told you it was a rip-off?

I think the Police will only issue a Producer if the computer says you have no Licence or it has been suspended, or if there is doubt about the driver's identity. I get stopped because the computer says I don't have a Licence, so the opposite must be true. With ANPR being able to tell if a car is taxed, MOT'd (if necessary), insured and the keeper has a Licence, I think the chances of a 'random' stop are very slim now. I can't remember the last time I was stopped for no definite reason.

If you renew or get the photo done at the post office, I imagine that the PO may give you a receipt which you can show to the police.

I don't think you can renew your license at the Post Office, if its for the new type, it can only be done by the DVLA.

Not all Post office branches have the specific photographic and computer equipment which takes the photo and sends your signature to the DVLA. You need to check which is your nearest PO branch with the equipment.

If you have a current passport, you can do the whole thing online. That's what I did last time, and they send you an envelope with the new licence to return the expired one to them. https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

You can’t apply online if your name has changed or if you want to renew a 5-year bus or lorry licence.

To apply online, you’ll need to:

have a valid UK passport issued within the last 5 years
    be a resident of Great Britain
    pay 20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
    provide addresses of where you’ve lived over the last 3 years
    have your driving licence, including the paper ‘counterpart’ if you have a photocard licence (if you don’t have your licence you must say why in your application)
    have your National Insurance number
    not be disqualified from driving
    There’s a different service if you want to renew your licence and you’re 70 or over.

You must send the photocard and paper counterpart of your old licence to DVLA when you get your new licence. The return address will be sent with your new licence.

Do police computers have the ability to link up the Drivers address to any vehicles registered to THAT address, I wonder.

I have no idea really, but I imagine that they could if they wanted to. I am pretty sure that they can find all vehicles registered at a given address.