Thread: Who has right of way here?

Default Who has right of way here?

Hi all!

Just a quick question. Thought I'd post here, because you guys are the RAC after all

Who has right of way here:

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2nganhg.***[/IMG]

Arrggh... The forums are starring out "j p g" at the end, so just add that in here:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2nganhg.***

Please imagine some cars blocked on the left hand side of the road. And it being pretty clear, near the little turn in (It's hard to see, so it's next to the white van)

My friend thinks that the person coming down has right of way, because their left is clear, but my opinion is that because of rule 155 of the highway code, where it says "give way wherever possible" (Yeah it's not a single track road etc... )

His argument is that it's "common sense" to wait, for that driver to come down, and my argument is that we have the law of gravity, and the fact that a car going uphill will naturally lose momentum ie: the "common sense"

His refutation to this is: "No that's called knowing how to drive properly, and being able to drive up hills" (Or words to that effect)

So who's right?

Personally, in matters like this I believe you just have to apply common sense to each individual situation. If there were cars parked on the left and I wanted to go that way, I would give way to anyone coming the other way before I tried to pass the parked cars. In the same way, I would expect that if I had already started to pass the parked cars, and someone came the other way, I would expect them to wait for me to clear the hazard before trying to come through.

There are many situations in driving where the only rule is common sense, or self preservation. If an oncoming driver is fast and aggressive, I will usually let him go. If all is equal you may get the 'after you Claud' situation, but that is rare.

My daughter lives in Southsea, Portsmouth. The roads there were not built for the car age and most houses don't have any parking at all. Driving, especially in the evening when people are at home, is an exercise in good manners. Anyone trying to be aggressive there will soon come unstuck.

Quote...."My daughter lives in Southsea, Portsmouth."

I used to live there when I was in the Navy, then we moved to Gosport, and I had to take my motor bike on the ferry to get to my ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Personally, in matters like this I believe you just have to apply common sense to each individual situation. If there were cars parked on the left and I wanted to go that way, I would give way to anyone coming the other way before I tried to pass the parked cars. In the same way, I would expect that if I had already started to pass the parked cars, and someone came the other way, I would expect them to wait for me to clear the hazard before trying to come through.
    That should be what happens, and that is the way those of us who passed our test in the 1960s or early 70s behave. However some people just blatantly disregard that convention and push through regardless.