Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RAC Warranty is the joke of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    Interesting that RAC warranties haven't commented on this post. I note that the dealer is a Wigan / Leigh dealer. I do know that trading standards in that area are very good and suggest you get in touch. You may get a generalised reply at first but they will pick up on your problem locally.
    Nice one, ta. I've submitted it via their website although it seems to have gone via the CAB instead. It said I'd get a response within 3 working days.

Does anyone know if amongst all this I can claim back the hour's labour cost of the garage diagnosing the problem, please? God knows why they need a computer to figure out something's burnt out(!)

Just a quick post to say I've since had a reply with a link to the TS letter templates and sent them a letter detailing that I expect them to fix it with no cost to me and also to refund me the 54 cost of an hour's labour. Not sure if I'll get that, though. The letter's on its way tomorrow, by recorded delivery.

However, I'm disgusted that the RAC haven't bothered to comment, and when my current year's worth of breakdown cover is finished, I am NEVER going back with them again. Absolute bunch of digraceful and pathetic individuals.

Update on my case with Jeff Johnson cars:

I sent them a letter at the start of this week by recorded delivery. They've replied back by recorded delivery. The text of my letter is below, and I've attached their reply.

I'm still no further forward with these people. Saying they can't supply a loan car? Apart from the fact that they have a duty to ensure I'm not inconvenienced, how do they expect me to get about? Teleport?!

Can anyone please advise where I go next from here. I'm thinking: back to Trading Standards and asking them to contact the dealer directly. Would they do that, please?

Thanks.

PS. I can't seem to be able to add a picture properly, so at the URL: http://dvd-fever.co.uk/radio/jeffjohnsoncarsreply.***
    reply *** with the three letters j-p-g (minus the dashes)

PPS. RAC - any time you want to man-up and grow a pair and deal with this properly, feel free to jump in! What an utter shambles of an organisation you are!!!! I will NEVER use you again if you don't sort this out!

"Jeff Johnson
    Parsonage Garage
    Kirkhall Lane
    Leigh
    Wigan
    Lancashire
    WN7 5RP

9 December 2013

Dear Sirs,

Complaint about faulty goods

I bought a Fiat Punto from you on 20th September 2013. I paid 2850.00 for a Fiat Punto (SC08 YRJ) including a trade-in of 800.00 for my Peugeot 206 (YA05 HRJ)

I now find the goods have the following fault:

I went to use the heater for the first time on November 7th 2013. I had not used it previously. After it came on, it spluttered and died. As such, and especially with winter arriving, this will cause me problems when I want to defrost it on frosty mornings.

I had tried to use the RAC warranty that came with the car, only to find they wouldn't cover the full costs. I took it to my local garage, Springbok, in Stockport, an RAC-approved garage. They charged me an hour's labour (54.00 inc. VAT) to do diagnostics on it to tell me that the heater motor has stopped working because it has burnt out.

Then they contacted the RAC who told them that they will pay for the heater motor (109.44) and 0.5hr labour (22.50). Add VAT comes to

So I would have to pay for wiring loom (75.98), resistor (19.37) and 3.5hr labour (157.50). Add VAT comes to 303.42.

Following consultation with my local Trading Standards Office, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be fit for purpose. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you repair the goods at no cost to me.

I have enclosed a copy of hour's labour receipt in support of my claim.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this letter.

Yours faithfully

Dominic Robinson"

[IMG]http://dvd-fever.co.uk/radio/jeffjohnsoncarsreply.***[/IMG]
    Last edited by dvdfever; 13-12-13 at 19:28.

I would seek more advice from trading standards.
    My suggestion would be to get the job done, get all the receipts and expenses receipts ie phone charges, mail charges and an allowance for time. Then send the dealer and the RAC the claim for the whole lot. You will probably get nowhere. Then send both a letter of intended legal action giving them both 14 days to reply. They either will or will not pay up. If the don't go to the "small claims court" and download the relevant forms. Be brief and concise in your claim and pay the fee. The court will then decide what will happen next. It will either award full costs (Inc court fees) to you OR you may get nowhere. That is why I suggest seeing the Trading Standards or a local solicitor. https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-...going-to-court

I would not pursue both the dealer and a warranty company. Only one of them is responsible, and it is the dealer. You will only muddy the waters if you try to blame both as they will just play off against each other.

Hi Dominic
    I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your post and that you are disappointed with how your claim has been dealt with.
    Whilst your warranty is branded as RAC, it remains an agreement between yourself and the supplying dealer, with The Warranty Group (TWG) as the Administrator. I understand TWG have agreed the cost of parts and labour covered by the terms of your warranty and if you need any further clarification then please contact them directly.
    Kind regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RAC OPS TEAM View Post
    Hi Dominic
    I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your post and that you are disappointed with how your claim has been dealt with.
    Whilst your warranty is branded as RAC, it remains an agreement between yourself and the supplying dealer, with The Warranty Group (TWG) as the Administrator. I understand TWG have agreed the cost of parts and labour covered by the terms of your warranty and if you need any further clarification then please contact them directly.
    Kind regards
    Mark
    Mark, thanks for your reply, but is that meant to reassure me in some way? All it does is confirm that you stand by the fact that your warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and then goes on to confirm that you wash your hands of it, saying, "Oh, it's not us, it's The Warranty Group". To me, it says RAC, and the fact it's utterly useless reflects on your company as a whole. You can't honestly tell me you're proud of this?

Quite frankly, the whole thing is a disgrace. I will never be a customer of the RAC again if this is the sort of "customer service" we can expect.

Any chance you can do the decent thing and, you know, repair my car like I thought the RAC would, instead of leaving me stranded with a broken heater?

Dvd fully support your reply. I am also a long standing RAC member and this will make think about looking elsewhere.

Your problem with the heater still rests with the dealer. The longer you take chasing up those not responsible, the more likely you will end up with no repair done. Chase the dealer that sold you the car.

Hi Dominic
    I am sorry that you remain disappointed, but I can only reiterate that you should contact TWG directly if you disagree with their assessment of your claim. As far as I am aware, the warranty clearly explained what it did and did not cover and, as consumers, we are all responsible for checking that we understand the details of the products we are purchasing. I am very sorry if your expecations were not subsequently met, but we are unable to intervene in this matter.
    Mark