Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had to run over a animal carcass today

We in the outer suburbs can see most wildlife during the day. I live in an area with woods on the north and east sides, as well as a lot of water; rivers, a canal and plenty of lakes. A lot of the wildlife will now let us get quite close before taking flight, as they appear to accept that not all us humans are out for their pelts or meat.

well drive to garage then

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    I have known of incidents, near to my home, of Pick-up trucks hitting goats and causing serious damage to the trucks.

A badger is a heavy and strong animal. Those of you who live in urban areas may not consider larger animals.

We do not know from the original post whether the animal may have been killed or injured by being hit by the OPs vehicle.

If it had been me, I would have stopped immediately after the collision to ascertain whether the animal needed veterinary treatment.

The Doe was dead which is why I kept referring to it as a carcass.

As soon as I could I pulled over and reported it to the police (101 telephone number not 999 as no matter what the RAC say this was not what would be classified as an accident).

All that was damaged was the front pipe on my exhaust which was replaced on the same day.

This happened on a country road which with all the bends in the road it is dangerous to human life to stop the car and get out only a total idiot would risk it.

I am not sure I can agree with the comment; 'This happened on a country road which with all the bends in the road it is dangerous to human life to stop the car and get out only a total idiot would risk it.'
    This makes it sound as if only cars are allowed on the road. This is not true, and it is up to a driver not to drive at a speed beyond which they can see to safely stop. There are enough foolish drivers on the road already who hit things because they are driving too fast for the conditions, they do not need the encouragement given by such comments.

I would most definitely agree that your incident is classed as a collision, and not a breakdown. You hit something, regardless of what.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I am not sure I can agree with the comment; 'This happened on a country road which with all the bends in the road it is dangerous to human life to stop the car and get out only a total idiot would risk it.'
    This makes it sound as if only cars are allowed on the road. This is not true, and it is up to a driver not to drive at a speed beyond which they can see to safely stop. There are enough foolish drivers on the road already who hit things because they are driving too fast for the conditions, they do not need the encouragement given by such comments.

I would most definitely agree that your incident is classed as a collision, and not a breakdown. You hit something, regardless of what.
    We all have our own opinions and that's yours. Going 50 miles an hour on a road you know like the back of your hand and where you know you are driving at a safe speed is by my opinion fine.

Stopping in the middle of no where on a bendy road @ 5am in the morning to make sure that the carcass of the animal that you have just driven over is cold is stupidity. It would be in daylight by in the darkness at 5am..............

I hit a dead doe @ 5am going about 20 miles an hour when I hit as I had slowed down from 50 miles an hour and because of that all that was broken was my exhaust. I would have swerved around but a car was coming the other way.

Tell me, would you really stop on a bendy road in pitch black in the middle of nowhere on a C road that you know is a busy road with artic`s and quarry lorries? Instead of pulling over when it is safe and reporting the carcass on the road?

Believe me if you are that silly you will be the get hit as half the time there is no room for 2 lorries to pass each other and they go down the road @ 55 miles an hour.

I have had occasion to do exactly that, and probably worse, depending on whose opinion you take to have more value. I served in the Army for a number of years, and worked as a night Patrol for AA for ten years. I am still alive with no damage to my body or soul other than that which I bought about myself in my own time following my various hobbies and pastimes. I do not trust any other driver on the road, as I have seen the aftermath of instances where others have entrusted their well-being to other motorists. I still believe in the application of common sense, and have a healthy survival instinct. I would not see the need to endanger myself in the situation you describe, or endanger any other person, although if as you say, these lorries act in the way you describe, there would be no way of taking their danger away from them.

In my opinion I think that the Original poster was going Too fast for the conditions.

What are the rules if you kill certain animals in traffic Collisions? Is it classed as "causing Injury"

As far as I am aware there is no penalty for killing an animal when driving, although the circumstances leading up the killing could be a prosecutable offence. There is quite a comprehensive list of those animals, that if killed, should be reported to the Police. Most of them are either 'owned' like dogs, sheep, cows, horses etc, or protected wildlife. I am sure you could find the list if you Googled for it.

Quote......."In my opinion I think that the Original poster was going Too fast for the conditions."

Not always the case Dennis, I was only doing around 20 mph, which was the safest speed while driving in freezing fog at 04.30, but the stag I hit bitterly jumped off the high grass embankment, right into the front of my car?

The damage was simply unbelievable considering the speed I was doing, it was like hitting a dry stone dyke?

StephenAmor,

You may want to look at the cover provided by AutoAid. It is my understanding that this falls within the cover they provide...

HTH