Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Had to run over a animal carcass today

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenAmor View Post
    We all have our own opinions and that's yours. Going 50 miles an hour on a road you know like the back of your hand and where you know you are driving at a safe speed is by my opinion fine.

    I hit a dead doe @ 5am going about 20 miles an hour when I hit as I had slowed down from 50 miles an hour and because of that all that was broken was my exhaust. I would have swerved around but a car was coming the other way.
    The fact that you couldn't stop within the distance you could see to be clear means that 50 was NOT a safe speed.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YahooCom View Post
    StephenAmor,

    You may want to look at the cover provided by AutoAid. It is my understanding that this falls within the cover they provide...

    HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    The fact that you couldn't stop within the distance you could see to be clear means that 50 was NOT a safe speed.
    Quite an unfair comment and clearly out of touch with reality.

    The carcass would have been virtually impossible to see in the dark and hitting it would have been almost inevitable at any speed.

    If it was a car etc then you would have more chance to see and react.


    Do we drive everywhere at 10mph to satisfy your theory?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    947

    Default

    It's not a peculiar theory I've invented, it's the advice of the police, Driving Standards Agency, RoSPA, IAM, etc....

    Still, what do they know, eh?

    What alternative method would you recommend for determining a safe speed?

    In any event, the carcass was big enough to damage the car, so hardly "virtually impossible to see".
    Last edited by Beelzebub; 09-12-13 at 08:34.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    It's not a peculiar theory I've invented, it's the advice of the police, Driving Standards Agency, RoSPA, IAM, etc....

    Still, what do they know, eh?

    What alternative method would you recommend for determining a safe speed?

    In any event, the carcass was big enough to damage the car, so hardly "virtually impossible to see".
    The carcass was big enough to damage the car you say.

    It caused no damage to the front bumper or bodywork.
    There is your first big clue as to how hard it was to see this item.
    It was so small and flat to the ground that only the exhaust got bent.

    Try not to be to clever using quotes and therorys of motoring organisations when they really do not apply to this incident.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    8,509

    Default

    Loony, I think you are being unfair. I drive on lanes reasonably regularly in the dark, and I manage to avoid dead pigeons, rabbits, hedgehogs and foxes whose carcasses have been left lying in the road. The deer was probably a muntjak which are small for deer, but bigger than either than those I mention. The reason I do not wish to run them over is not because of fear of damage, but because I don't want to have to clean the mess off the underside of the car. I do not accept they are 'invisible', but have my own thoughts as to whether the OP was driving faster than he could stop, or see.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    I am not saying they are always invisible,just to be clear.

    What I am saying is that sometimes,no matter how careful you are,you may not be able to avoid hitting something.

    There have been collisions between cars and humans where it had been deemed unavoidable on the drivers part.

    So it is unfair to always blame the car driver or make a comment that they were not traveling at a safe speed(as above).

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    8,754

    Default

    A mate of mine was driving up rural section of the A9 in the early morning, when he saw what he thought was a large stone, or bolder laying in the middle of the road.

    He reduced his speed right down, with the intention of driving round it, but just as he got near it,.... it got up and ran right in front of his car?

    As it turned out to be a sheep, that had woken up when the head lights (full beam) shone on it, and it had panicked, and ran straight towards the lights?

    Point being, he knew the road, had driven it countless times, but only had a second or two to decide what to do, but the result was inevitable, no mater what he did?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    8,509

    Default

    A muntjak had the misfortune to run out in front of me some years ago on the A1(M). It would have made it across the road, as there was enough room for me to pass behind it. I think it must have panicked, as it tried to turn and run back where it came from. The only thought I had was that I could not emergency brake due to the convoy of tailgating cars behind, nor could not swerve into the outer lane as I was being passed by a convoy of tailgaters.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,864

    Default

    It is my suspicion that this thread title is misleading. I suspect that the OP hit and killed a living animal.

    Either way, I think he should have stopped immediately to ascertain whether the animal needed urgent veterinary attention.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    It is my suspicion that this thread title is misleading. I suspect that the OP hit and killed a living animal.

    Either way, I think he should have stopped immediately to ascertain whether the animal needed urgent veterinary attention.
    You need to think very carefully before you post accusations like the above Dennis.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •