Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Had to run over a animal carcass today

Default Had to run over a animal carcass today

Unfortunately I had to run over a animal carcass this morning.

It was dark a car was coming the other way and so I was unable to stop or take evasive action, after this the car has lost power (Drivable but less power) and is noisy.

I thought that it would be inadvisable to drive the car further than necessary and so I waited until the early morning rush had gone as I have managed to coast the last 1\2 mile to work so there was no real rush for them to come out.

When I explained what the issue was I was told that this was not something my membership covers as it would be classed as an accident and would be insurable ( I thought this was insured and by my membership with the RAC) as this is the case is the RAC comes out they would be charging me?????????????????/

Obviously I was not happy with this nor am I so I explained that if that is correct then I will not be renewing my joint membership and will be just using the green flag membership I get with my bank account.

You'll find that GF also exclude accidents which would be covered by other insurance.

StephenAmor
    I dont know the full details of your call for assistance, but from the content of your post, it would appear that the unfortunate animal has caused damage to your vehicle (loss of power and a noise after the impact). This would therefore imply that you have been involved in an accident, your breakdown cover does not cover you for a recovery for this type of incident. We may offer the services of our Accident Care team, who would talk you through the insurance process ie if you intended to make a claim on your insurance policy they may offer assistance and look to recoup our costs from your insurer. If you advised that you did not intend to make a claim on your insurance, we would generally offer service on a pay on use basis.
    Sorry to hear that you are disappomited but hope this helps.
    Angela

However,the animal has probably caused some minor mechanical problem that can be fixed.
    The owner is also unlikely to claim for this on an insurance policy and would take it to a garage to get it fixed.

Thumbs down

Had the animal already been killed previously, OR did you kill it when you hit it? You may need to report it depending on what breed of animal it is?

I think you need to report the accident to the police. How big was the animal?
    Last edited by Dennis W; 19-11-13 at 16:15.

It sounds like you have damaged something on the underside of your car, when you ran over the animal, have you had a look underneath your car yet?

I ran over a turnip once, that had fallen off the back of a tractor trailer, on a really narrow bridge, with no way of avoiding it.

The car seemed OK at the time, but a while later I discovered that the outdoor temperature sensor had broken?

Apart from that, the only other damage, was a big dent in the rear silencer box?

We have seen the RAC come out to recover damaged vehicles on TV. It is misleading as they don't explain that they charge for it and expect you to recover the cost from insurance.

Since all I could see broken was the exhaust I decided to limp to the nearest tyre and exhaust company which raised it on their ramps and decided that the only damage was to the front pipe exhaust.

I will not be renewing with the RAC as all I can see they are good for is for recharging dead batteries in the cold mornings and to be honest I may as well use my green flag coverage for this, as will most of my family which is 20 people more or les a couple. Well done RAC you have done yourself a lot of favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Had the animal already been killed previously, OR did you kill it when you hit it? You may need to report it depending on what breed of animal it is?

I think you need to report the accident to the police. How big was the animal?
    I reported the animal carcass in the road as soon as it was safe to do so, just so you know for this kind of thing you call 101 not 999.

The animal was already dead which is why I had so little damage and did not need a new front bumper and bonnet.

So I was right,minor damage to a part that you would never claim of your insurance for.