Thread: Life as a Joke

Default Life as a Joke

Re Santa's post No 53 on the Jokes thread. A friend removed two 6ft panels from his fence so he could park his 4 x 4 in the garden. (He refitted the panels on hinges afer reinforcing them somewhat.) His wife was instructed to always park her XR4i across the gates. The husband was away for the weekend when the wife heard a smashing noise at around 1am from the vicinity of where she parks her car. She went upstairs and looked out the bedroom window and saw three guys pushing her car along the road, who then proceeded to try to crowbar the gates open. At this point she phoned the Police. The Police response was that due to it being a Saturday night, everyone was already on a call, but they would send someone as soon as possible. She went back to the bedroom window and watched as they, by now having the gates open, had opened the 4 x 4 and were fiddling around inside it trying to get it started. In her words, the next minute all Hell let loose as Police cars came from all directions, but instead of going to her house they went to one up the road. The would-be car thieves got away whilst the going was good. She went out the back and was told by a PC to go back into the house and stay there as there was a gunman on the loose. A teenage boy up the road had been woken by the noise, looked out the window, and when he realised what was going on started taking potshots at the thieves with an air rifle. Another neighbour saw him shooting his air rifle at the thieves and called the Police. The thieves were never caught.

I bet the boy got done for firing his air gun at them, especially these days, as the old health & safety, and the hums rights brigade, would have field day?

A far more interesting crime for the police, than thieves nicking a 4X4?

The police are just not consistent, in my opinion.

That reminds me of another Police Comedy incident.

There was a golf club down a side road. One evening there was some dispute between a taxi driver and a police officer.

Both parties used their radios to call up reinforcements and soon the little side road was crowded with both taxis and police cars rushing to get to the scene.

A few years ago I reported in person to the Police that my car had been damaged whilst unattended in a car park. I had not yet decided whether I was going to claim from insurer or arrange privately for repairs. I was given a phone number and told to give it about a week before phoning, and they would supply me with an Incident Number for my insurer. (There was always a chance that someone had seen who had hit my car, and a slim possibility that they may have reported it.)