Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on MPG and motorway driving

Default Need advice on MPG and motorway driving

Hello,

I have a Ford Focus 2005 LX 1.6 and I use it to drive from Manchester to Liverpool at least 3 times a week. Each time I go I need to put £20 in to cover the journey (so I think it's roughly £9 to go one way, and obviously, £9 back).

Lots of people have been telling me that I'm not getting good mpg here and it seems expensive - the journey is roughly 34 miles from A to B - so I'm doing 68 miles every day roughly.

I am being told I should get a smaller engine car (say a 1.2 or 1.3) but I don't really know much technical detail about what I should be aiming for to improve my petrol costs.

Would a smaller engine - say a Fiesta 1.2 - actually save me petrol money for the journey and be more economical?

Someone's said I should just get the same car but in Diesel. Not sure what I should be looking for really.

Any help would be brilliant.

Cheers,
    Garry.

Is the servicing up to date?

In my experience a new Air Filter can improve MPG

But consider new spark plugs and a service.

Funny you should say that as it's in need of a service - would I really see that much more fuel consumption benefit from a service?

It depends on how long it has been since the last one.

Air filters can get clogged up with sand and grit which prevents oxygen getting into the fuel mixture. That is like having the "choke" on

It's not had a service since I bought it which was August last year - I'm going to book one in

I also thought I'm probably driving about 75-80 on the motorway consistently - will this be wasting a lot of petrol too?

Slow down to 60 mph for a day or two and see what difference it makes.

Gonna book my service with ATS and try the slower speeds and see how it goes -thanks very much for your help.

Depends on how much fuel you get for your £9 which currently is about 7 litres

Miss breakdown

If you have to spend £thousands on a new car, it will take a long time to break even.

Concentrate on making what you have economical. Get the service done and make sure that the tyre pressures are checked frequently. Take any unwanted weight out of the car (tools in the boot?) and then think about how to drive economically. Drive gently - accelerate and brake smoothly. Change up a bit earlier and try to keep the revs between 1500 and 2500 rpm.

I think that the best fuel saving device in a car is the driver's right foot.

I don't know if its because I am older now, but I've found that I drive more economically or slower now, compared to when I was younger?

Maybe its because I don't need to rush around so much, or reach deadlines, but my mate is simply amazed that I get 37mpg out of our 2Ltr Mazda, and that's all short runs.

I've never had the chance to take it a long run yet, as much as I would like to.