Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange workings of the NHS.

Our local doctors receptionist retired recently, and she was great, very friendly and knowledgeable about all the patients needs, and was really caring.

Since she has left we have noticed a vast difference in contacting our doctor. The new one is rude, arrogant, abrupt, and is really hard to communicate with, the total opposite of the person she replaced.

Slightly off topic, but our local Hospital has two X-ray machines. There are four Receptionists. Two for Inpatients and two for Outpatients. When I had to go to RNOH, where there are five X-ray machines, two ultrasound scanners and two MRI machines, there is one Receptionist and an Assistant.

It's just possible that you were there at shift change time. In the NHS, it is normal for shifts to overlap so that information (not gossip.. can be exchanged.

We've been with our local doctors' health centre for 28 years, when we moved home. In the early days things were fairly good - able to see the same doctor almost anytime, and there was a knowledgeable contact between doctor and patient, which gave one considerable confidence in the treatment received.
    Now, there seems to be a regular change in the doctors, and it is rare to see the same one twice. the one remaining doctor who we felt comfortable with seems to spend his time treating the inmates of a not-too-distant young offenders centre - not our idea of getting the priorities right.
    Also, the receptionists and admin staff exude a cool indifference; not exactly rude, but obviously couldn't care less if they never saw you again.
    Oh, one thing they are hot at - the "don't" notices.

Maybe time to investigate changing doctors. When I moved here I signed up with a doctor purely by chance. There were three or four surgeries in the town centre and I struck lucky.

When I got married my wife was registered at a different surgery. They weren't open on Saturday mornings, she was never able to see the same doctor twice (and there seemed to be a fast turnover) and the attitude of the reception staff was generally unhelpful. My surgery was quite different, and she eventually switched.

When I started work in the NHS, I had quite a lot of contact with all the various surgeries around the district. The impression I formed from that left me in no doubt that she had made a wise decision. I suppose we are lucky to have the choice, as many people do not.

During the 13 years at our last house, the doctors we were then registered with has a practice which was a 7-bedroomed house, and just across the road from us. This was the best practice ever - the doctors were as near to the idyllic country doctors of drama that you were ever likely to come across.
    But things change - we moved out of Leicester and that house, along with the one next to it, were demolished and replaced by a Mosque with a large golden dome.