Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange workings of the NHS.

Default Strange workings of the NHS.

Today, OH and I went for our annual flu jabs. The digital notice board in the waiting room flashed up that patients of 70 and 79 were entitled to a vaccination for shingles. OH has had this complaint, so she asked about the vaccination.
    Silly her - she had read it as 'aged from 70 to 79'.
    The receptionist pointed out that it was only for patients actually 70 or actually 79 - these patients being at the most risk. I asked if that meant, having passed 70, they were then not vulnerable until they became 79? After listening to some mumblings about cost, I offered sympathy that she was unfortunate in having to be the "front" for an obviously stupid ruling.

I find it difficult to believe that it is Policy only to give the jab to specific ages, I would be more inclined to believe it was the Receptionist interpretation. I know that my GP has had some Receptionists who I wouldn't trust to tell me the time as I would be wary of their ability to read a clock. I have also caught out some Hospital Department Receptionists who have told me blatant lies because it seems it would make their lives easier if I just accepted any old bunkum.

The information was displayed on a rolling LED noticeboard, so would have been put in by the practice administrator - not a receptionist. And the notice does specifically state ages of 70 and 79.
    Like you, Rolebama, I also found it difficult to believe the policy.

This is exactly correct. As I am 70, I had mine a few weeks ago along with my flue jab.

As I understand it, it is more about the availability of the vaccine than the cost. Next year all the people currently 69 will get it along with those currently 78. The worst case is that if you are 71 now, you will have to wait until 2021 before you get it. My guess though, is that take-up will be low and it will soon be offered to more septuagenarians.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    This is exactly correct. As I am 70, I had mine a few weeks ago along with my flue jab.

As I understand it, it is more about the availability of the vaccine than the cost. Next year all the people currently 69 will get it along with those currently 78. The worst case is that if you are 71 now, you will have to wait until 2021 before you get it. My guess though, is that take-up will be low and it will soon be offered to more septuagenarians.
    Sounds about right for the NHS.
    Taking note of your observations Santa that, next year, those of 69 and 78 will be eligible, I have to wonder how I will stand.
    I'm now 78, but not eligible. Next year I will be 79 so, if only 78's are eligible, that rules me out again.

Being the cynic that I am, if 70's and 79's are at most risk this year, presumably those two ages will not be at risk next year, and 69's and 78's will be in danger??? So, am I now clear of risk? - Yippee!

Snowball, read it again: " Next year all the people currently 69 will get it along with those currently 78

Frankly I'm surprised that they are bothering to offer the jab at all, as it seems to me that this present governments policy, is for us to work hard all your life ,pay your taxes, national insurance and pension benefits, until you reach 70,.....then pop off, that way they wont have to pay out on your pension?

See what you mean, Santa, providing the NHS admin actually understand what "currently" means.

I think they do. While I was waiting, I heard the receptionist patiently explain it three or four times to different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I think they do. While I was waiting, I heard the receptionist patiently explain it three or four times to different people.
    See how it goes next year, then. Don't have great faith in how our doctors' receptionists work.
    Recently, I got an email reminder that my flue jab was due - no mention of my wife, though - and was reminded at same time that I was due a blood pressure test.
    My wife arranged with reception for both our jabs, mentioned my BP test, and receptionist booked it to be done at same time.
    Come the day, nurse giving jabs said she hadn't been given enough time, so it would have to be rearranged.
    Surgery was unusually quiet and, after completing our jabs, as we were leaving another staff member came in for a chat.
    Impressed ' NOT!!!