Thread: Volvo S40 queries

Default Volvo S40 queries

I am very interested in buying a Volvo s40 auto. What is the difference between geartronic and powertrain ? Which appears more reliable and good to use ? Also they appear not have a spare wheel. If I did have a puncture I would prefer a new tyre. Is it reasonable to rely on RAC to supply/fit ? I have made a similar post in the past but hoping for any more info from people. Thanks

Regarding the tyre if we cant plug as a temporay repair we would take it and you to a tyre centre for a new tyre out of hours we would try to source a new tyre through a 24 tyre service which will have a call out charge plus the cost of the tyre in my area north london tyres were charging 85 callout before cost of tyre .
    Some tyre sizes are only available for order and not avalible in hours let alone out of hours worth doing some homework.

If the boot has room for a spare wheel my suggestion is you get one even if its a space saver.

Miss breakdown

Thanks Miss breakdown., Has anyone ideas for easy effective storage, e.g box available ?

If there is space in the boot for a full sized spare wheel to fit into, then you can buy a wheel from volvo dealer and then get a tyre fitted to that wheel. Have a look how big the spare wheel container is before you buy.

If there is space - look round the scrap yards for one - even a 'skinny' spare is better than none.

Question for the RAC: Is a call out to a puncture or damaged tyre covered by a standard membership, or is it excluded as 'accidental damage."

Quote Originally Posted by belucky22 View Post
    I am very interested in buying a Volvo s40 auto. What is the difference between geartronic and powertrain ? Which appears more reliable and good to use ? Also they appear not have a spare wheel. If I did have a puncture I would prefer a new tyre. Is it reasonable to rely on RAC to supply/fit ? I have made a similar post in the past but hoping for any more info from people. Thanks
    Is it a brand new S40 you are thinking of buying, or a used one?

Thanks for previous advice Dennis. Really looking for one around 2 to 4or5 years to avoid depreciation.

The best age to buy a car is when its 3 years old, as that's when the maximum depreciation is reached, well I think so?

Also, that's when its first MOT is due, and a lot of folk (who can afford it) trade their car in.

I have got a Volvo S80 with automatic transmission. It has a "W" button for use in Winter conditions. It is a 1999 vehicle with a "V" registration.

The best advice I can offer is to take a test drive in one, to feel for yourself how easy it is to operate.