Thread: Battery con???

Angry Battery con???

My car battery was flat Thursday, so I called rac he came out and charged up my battery showing me that a car battery should go to 14 point something voltage, my battery went to 14 point something and then dropped down to 12 point something, straight away he told me that this was the battery losing charge and needed a new one, telling me that I would not be able to run the car on12 point something volts..I am a very new driver and so know not much at all about these things yet, but being my rac breakdown man I had no reason to doubt him at all. So I bought the new battery under his advise. I drove my car around Friday but then Saturday my battery was flat again, I called rac out again, this time I spoke to a friend who works with cars and he said it might be the alternator and this should have been tested first, when the rac man came out I told him this, and this time he did check the alternator, which was the problem, he spent a long time telling me over and over that the alternator was draining the battery, saying it was draining 4 volts when he put this wire on, and then not when he put a different wire on ect... He told me that while my car stands still my alternator is draining my battery, so I asked him if intact I hadn't need a new battery as the problem was the alternator and he told me that the altenator had actually killed my old battery dead...this seemed strange when my old battery had infact charged up to 14 and stayed at 12 point something?? So I called my friend and he said that a running car the battery would be on 14 point something voltage but a car without the engine running would infact be at 12 point something and as this was the case I never needed a new battery at all, and also when the rac man came Thursday one of the first things he should have checked was the altenator and not just jumped straight in with saying i needed a new battery, I feel lied to and ripped off and I am not happy that I feel I can't trust a breakdown man that is meant to be there to help me, it just seems he just wanted money off me!

Did he carry out a battery test also? The readings will be on your report form

only way he tested it was with a reader, which he showed me whilst he done it, which showed the voltage charged up to 14.+ and then it slowly went down to 12.+ which he told me was a battery on its way out, and that a car can't run on that voltage, though I've since been told a battery without the engine running should be on 12.+ but when he returned the Saturday he then tried telling me my battery that he had replaced was completely dead! which again is untrue as it was charged up to 12.+ if it was dead it wouldn't of charged up???I was not given any kind of report?? All he done was to send me an email of the receipt for the new battery, I've never had a car or breakdown cover before, so am all new to this, I just expected to be able to trust everything I was told

C.o73
    Have you discussed this with our Breakdown Customer Care team? If not, could you please email the registration number of the vehicle we attended to Ops@rac.co.uk so we can trace the details of our attendance and look into the matter.
    Thanks
    Angela

Hi Angela, I've not had the time to call yet, as ive been unavailable all of today, but was going to call them tomorrow, I had already sent an emailed rac, and I have now emailed my car registration to the email you have provided to me, thank you

I can confirm safe receipt of your email, thank you.
    The additional information has enabled me to trace our attendance records so we will look into this and respond ASAP.
    Thanks
    Angela