Thread: RAC Membership Card

Default RAC Membership Card

Not sure where to post this, but why does the RAC membership card only show the Mobile friendly number at National rates and not the Free 0800 number?

I don't know of a service provider who gives free calls on a mobile, except for emergency numbers. I would like to know of one though.

Aye! its a bit much when you consider that they know a large % of the calls to their call centre, are from motorists on mobile phones.

Especially when they know that you are going to kept on hold for a long time?

money,money money

Angry money all the way

yes you pay your membership then they charge you for phone calls.

renewals ? checked your credit card recently ??

Ive just bought a new car, my renewal is due but i dont need it - covered by BMW, ........ BUT RAC renew and take 162.00 off my CC without me knowing.
    WOW an issue for FRAUD ??
    They say they automatically renew - who says ?? not the customer it seems, so check your CC like a hawk, .... other companies are doing this - AMAZON, TICKETMASTER that I know of through bitter experience.

In the RAC's defence, 0800 numbers were introduced so that members could call free, back in the days when most calls were from landlines.

There is (as far as I know) no way of offering free calls from mobiles. The 03xx numbers are as cheap you'll get, as these calls are usually included in the allowance with your contract or PAYG bundle. The RAC don't make any money from it.

If you call the RAC on an 0800 number from a landline, the RAC pay for the call. If you call on that 0800 number from a moblie, you both pay!
    Last edited by Beelzebub; 17-09-14 at 20:38.

With all this modern electronic banking, we think that we are in control, but we are not.Recently I cancelled a direct debit on line, but the bank still went ahead and made a payment, it took me a lot of hassle just to get my own money back?

Quote Originally Posted by m hohggarth View Post
    yes you pay your membership then they charge you for phone calls.

renewals ? checked your credit card recently ??

Ive just bought a new car, my renewal is due but i dont need it - covered by BMW, ........ BUT RAC renew and take 162.00 off my CC without me knowing.
    WOW an issue for FRAUD ??
    They say they automatically renew - who says ?? not the customer it seems, so check your CC like a hawk, .... other companies are doing this - AMAZON, TICKETMASTER that I know of through bitter experience.
    I believe that they have to give you the opportunity to opt out of automatic renewals when you start a policy; either for car insurance or any other service. This underlines the need to read that print on the screen, especially the bits with tickboxes, before you click through. Some people prefer to auto renew as it ensures that they do not forget.

I got caught out once with a credit card monthly payment that proved very difficult to cancel, so I always pay these charges annually on a debit card.