Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip off batteries?

Default Rip off batteries?

Had a recovery today due to a faulty battery requiring a replacement. Service was decent, happy enough there!

But the battery was 96.99!!!! The exact same battery is max 60 elsewhere! What's the deal? Is this how they make profit?

Asked around at work, and green flag has been recommended as their batteries seem to be around 40 to 60.

I suppose its the old "convenience" thing,...where you can get an item for 1 at the supermarket, yet the corner shop will charge you 1.60 for it,...

Does everywhere else offer you free fitting. Does everywhere else offer 5 year guarantee. Does everywhere else come out to you 365 days of the year. Answer is no. Rac batteries are top quality and very few fail within there 5 yr guaranteed period. Top service and parts come at a price im afraid. .

Quote Originally Posted by n99thw View Post

Does everywhere else offer you free fitting.
    Don't know - seems like green flag do though?

Does everywhere else offer 5 year guarantee.

Isn't it generally accepted batteries last this long anyway? Therefore everywhere would do a guarantee by proxy

Does everywhere else come out to you 365 days of the year. Answer is no.

I'd assume green flag/AA are also 365 days a year?

Rac batteries are top quality and very few fail within there 5 yr guaranteed period.
    The battery I have isn't RAC branded

Top service and parts come at a price im afraid.
    The service I pay for, via an annual subscription fee, as you'll see in my original post I have no issue with the service received. The parts however, are sold online by the manufacturer for 40% less than I was charged by the RAC, this I do have issue with, if it's standard practice of the RAC to add a 40% markup to parts required, then I'll certainly bve going elsewhere! .
    In any event I await a response from RAC to clarify the reasons for the inflated costs.

A 50% markup over the normal retail price, does seem a little excessive.

mango
    I dont know the circumstances of your particular call for assistance, but I can confirm that we dont pressure sell. Our Patrol will have attended as you requested us to do so. His investigation into the problem has identified a faulty battery and you have opted to purchase one from RAC. You would have been made aware of the cost of the battery at that time and could have asked for a jump start and made your own arrangements if you wanted to purchase a battery from another party. The batteries we supply are of a high quality, inc labour for fitting and costs for disposing of, aswell as having a comprehensive 5yr 24 hour per day 365 days per year warranty. We sell them at the recommended retail price on a national basis, so our prices are consistent and dont vary due to your geographical location. Of course, there is always the possibility that you can source one at a cheaper cost from another party. Although the terms of their warranty may not be as competitive as RAC. Ultimately it was your choice at the time.
    Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Operations Exec View Post
    mango
    I dont know the circumstances of your particular call for assistance, but I can confirm that we dont pressure sell. Our Patrol will have attended as you requested us to do so. His investigation into the problem has identified a faulty battery and you have opted to purchase one from RAC. You would have been made aware of the cost of the battery at that time and could have asked for a jump start and made your own arrangements if you wanted to purchase a battery from another party.

I was made aware of the cost of the battery - and I made the driver aware that it seemed to be ~ 40 more than I'd expect for a battery of that ilk, upon having a jump I was made aware that I could break down on the way to a motorfactors, and I wouldn't be allowed another callout, ie I'd be stranded

The batteries we supply are of a high quality, inc labour for fitting and costs for disposing of, aswell as having a comprehensive 5yr 24 hour per day 365 days per year warranty.

Your website claims free labour and fitting for RAC customers, so I'd expect to pay for the battery only with other costs being immaterial

We sell them at the recommended retail price on a national basis, so our prices are consistent and dont vary due to your geographical location. Of course, there is always the possibility that you can source one at a cheaper cost from another party. Although the terms of their warranty may not be as competitive as RAC.

The battery from yourselves was 96.99, the RRP from the manufacturer is 53.99 - I fail to see how there can be such a large discrepancy between the manufacturers RRP and that I paid - unless I was charged the additional 43 in error - in which case could you advise me of your refund policy?

Ultimately it was your choice at the time.

Going on the advice of the RAC mechanic - I could either fork out 96.99 for a new battery, or risk making it to a motorfactors, being advised that placing any load on the battery (use of wipers/lights/radio) could cause the engine to stall. If I hadn't made it to a motorfactors for a battery then I wouldn't be eligible for recovery. I'd class that as pressure selling, personally.
    Angela
    Regardless of the above, I'd appreciate some basis of justification for charging significantly above the RRP on a required product for a motorist in need - because at the moment it seems to be taking advantage of a situation in order to make a profit.

Mango
    I am sorry that you remain dissatisfied but I cannot change the price of the battery. You agree that you were given the cost prior to purchase and you chose to accept it at the time. There is nothing more that I can add to my previous post.
    Angela

Could you not clarify the rationale behind charging 40% more for a product than its RRP? Given that you have a contract with Exide, I'd expect you to be able to source the batteries cheaper than the general public, not more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    Could you not clarify the rationale behind charging 40% more for a product than its RRP? Given that you have a contract with Exide, I'd expect you to be able to source the batteries cheaper than the general public, not more expensive?
    Why should they have to ? Do you go into Waitrose and ask why they charge 20p more for a packet of chocolate biscuits ? The RAC is a business. They are entitled to charge what they want and if you don't like the price, then you don't have to make the purchase.