Thread: I've rejected a purchased vehicle but do I have to have the one I part ex'd back?

Question I've rejected a purchased vehicle but do I have to have the one I part ex'd back?

Around one month ago I bought a new vehicle and traded my old one in. My vehicle was valued at 3,200 and I paid an additional 3,800 on top for the new vehicle.

Over the last month I have had nothing but problems with the new vehicle. It has been back to the garage 5 times for repair and has been in the garage for a total of 17 days.

I am going to reject the vehicle under the sale and supply of goods act. The garage have stated that they will give me my old car back and the money I gave them.

My question is do I have to have my old car back? I would prefer them to give me the monetary value for my old car so I don't have to worry about trading it in somewhere else! It would be easier for me to have the full 7000 and I also wonder whether it could have been damaged or worked on over the last month that the garage have had it! Is it up to me whether I have the valuation money for my old car or do I have to take back my old car?

I am not a lawyer.

I think that the garage is probably within its rights to give you the old car back. By doing this, they are returning you to the position you were in before the sale and there is no reason why you should profit from the exchange. The price a garage gives for a trade-in is often more than the market value of the car. The dealer looks to make a profit on the whole transaction and may well sell your old car for less than he gave you.

My advice - take the offer and be thankful that you are dealing with a law abiding business.

A suggestion - Could you not do a deal with them on another car?

Thanks for the message.

The garage currently have my old vehicle up for sale for 5000 so they are looking at making nearly 2k on my old car.

The way I see it is is this, because they have sold me a faulty car and have showed quite bad customer service trying to put it right.. I'm going to have to tax my vehicle, change the insurance, just to drive it somewhere else to trade it in. The car is a convertible and it's not October, less demand for a convertible in winter!

Just seems that I'll be at a loss that's all.

Welcome to the site Jonezard, you wrote..." The garage have stated that they will give me my old car back and the money I gave them."

I would take that offer, as its about as good a result you could get, good luck.

By returning the car, you are negating the contract between you and the garage, so unless they sell your old car in the meantime, you would be expected to take it back as it was part of the original contract.