Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Let Down on 16th september.. Refused help as policy was not found AGAIN!

Default Very Let Down on 16th september.. Refused help as policy was not found AGAIN!

Hi,
    My last report was a very good one but this time not so...
    I broke down on the a30 in cornwall on a cold windy night & needed RAC as my oil light had come on and a diesel pipe had split. I searched my wallet for my membership card but sadly no sign of it. Its been a few years since i even used my policy so i spent about 15 minuted on the phone to customer services who sadly couldnt find my policy. This meant i was left to sort this out myself and I eneded up very distressed and out of pocket by at least 50 plus hours of waiting for alternative help.
    I have just called RAC now to find out if they can find my policy and hey presto it took less than 5 minutes... The same previous address was given but this guy found the policy.
    RAC i hope you are listening because this is very slack of you. I gave you my full name, phone number, previous addresses & you couldnt find my policy when i was in need.... Needless to say ill definitely be switching next year & think i deserve compensation for what has happened to me.

Sorry to hear of problems with our roadside service.
    In order to avoid occurences like you describe, we do ask that you quote your unique membership number when you call for our assistance. We appreciate that there may be occasions when you may not have these details to hand, so we can search for your policy from your home address. From the address you gave when you registered on this forum, I have been unable to trace a valid membership. I therefore wonder if you have changed address and we havent been informed? I also cant find a record of you contacting our Breakdown Customer Care team about the matter, so I am happy to conduct an investigation into this for you. Could you please send me an email (Ops@rac.co.uk ) confirming your membership number, past and present home address, registration number of the vehicle that broke down on 16 Sept, the time you called RAC and the telephone number from which you dialled please. I am sorry that this is a long list but this will help me to trace our records and I can then look to resolve the matter for you.
    Angela

Might be a good idea to keep your contract number written down on paper,(or better still your membership card) stuck behind the sun visor, that's what I used to do in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by dsdub View Post
    Hi,
    My last report was a very good one but this time not so...
    I broke down on the a30 in cornwall on a cold windy night & needed RAC as my oil light had come on and a diesel pipe had split. I searched my wallet for my membership card but sadly no sign of it. Its been a few years since i even used my policy so i spent about 15 minuted on the phone to customer services who sadly couldnt find my policy. This meant i was left to sort this out myself and I eneded up very distressed and out of pocket by at least 50 plus hours of waiting for alternative help.
    I have just called RAC now to find out if they can find my policy and hey presto it took less than 5 minutes... The same previous address was given but this guy found the policy.
    RAC i hope you are listening because this is very slack of you. I gave you my full name, phone number, previous addresses & you couldnt find my policy when i was in need.... Needless to say ill definitely be switching next year & think i deserve compensation for what has happened to me.
    You want RAC to compensate you for the fact that you could not supply them with the information required i.e. your membership number ? If I was that confident I had membership but they were saying I didn't, then I would have paid for service then reclaimed the cost after when I had confirmation of the membership.

'You want RAC to compensate you for the fact that you could not supply them with the information required i.e. your membership number ? '
    I have read the OP three times and can not find any reference to the poster asking for compensation. I can't even find a request for reimbursement of the 50 paid out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    'You want RAC to compensate you for the fact that you could not supply them with the information required i.e. your membership number ? '
    I have read the OP three times and can not find any reference to the poster asking for compensation. I can't even find a request for reimbursement of the 50 paid out.
    The last line of the post is "Needless to say ill definitely be switching next year & think i deserve compensation for what has happened to me."

I accept it is my interpretation, but, to me, using the phrase; 'I think I deserve compensation' is a forerunner to, 'but I probably won't get any, so won't bother asking for it'.
    It is not my intention to offend anyone, it is just the way I read the post.

Some will recall that I put up another thread on a different issue quoting my membership no. as I have been asked to do i.e. missing the 000 010 before the remaining nine digits. Angela couldn't find me on the system and upon ringing customer services, I was located - Angela said "Phew!" and so did I! But it does beg the question as to whether one gives one's full membership no. (been told more than once since 1989 they don't need it) or not.

I always travel with my RAC card and, frankly, if you've got the cover, you're daft not to. But things happen (particularly with females changing purses - thought that might cheer the male brotherhood up !)! Having said that, with all the calls that the call centres get for assistance, is it reasonable to expect that - because you haven't got your membership no. they should be spending their time trawling through a database finding you, when others (of whom you're totally unaware) potentially in more hazardous situations?I sympathize with the inclement weather experienced at the time of the OP's breakdown, but it's Britain and we get rubbish weather at any time of year, so have the kit to deal with it in the car.

Assuming what is said in the OP to have happened to the OP (of whose gender I'm unaware!), then I would have thought that, if s/he has current appropriate membership cover, re-imbursement of costs would be reasonable, once the investigation is complete and invoices for costs incurred submitted.

I would always suggest that you quote your full unique membership number as it is printed on your card when you call for our assistance. As you missed off the initial 000 010 in your post I was unable to trace your valid policy, this would have caused probems in the event of a vehicle breakdown so best to quote the full number.
    With regard to the difficulties this customer has raised, we will of course look into the matter once he/she responds to my post.
    Angela

Since we seem to have gone off topic....

Isn't it about time the RAC had an app that a driver could use, and which would instantly identify them to the operator?