Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification needed, please.

Default Clarification needed, please.

Angela, I noted your comment to someone who has recently given feedback in which you mention the RAC won't assist if one has been involved in an off-road or motorsport event.

I am a rally safety marshal and take my 4x4 into forest stages plus, as a radio controller, I often have to do a bit of off-roading (nothing harsh) to get to my control location. I and many fellow marshals have had incidents where we have needed the event recovery crews to assist out of predicaments; they have the right sort of vehicle to deal with the terrain that your patrols do not. However, the one time, some years back, I did need assistance with a problem going home from a rally but caused by fulfilling my role on the rally, there was no issue about getting it.

My membership no is 452684099. I do not get updates of changes of terms and conditions every year something I gather is the norm for someone in my situation, so would be grateful for clarification with regard to the circumstances described above. I know some other marshals/radios who are RAC members who would be most concerned if breakdown assistance on the public roads because one had been AT a motor-sport event were refused. It is for this reason that I'm posting on this forum.

FJ

That reminds me of the time they took us "off road" driving, for training to cover such an event. The instructor was "demonstrating" how it should be done, and tore the back end of the exhaust off the 4X4?

Looks like they change t/c to suit the situation

ficklejade
    I cant find a valid policy from the number you have quoted so I cant confirm the type of cover you have. But to answer your question, I think the key difference here is whether you are "taking part" in the motor sport/off-road event. If you are taking part in an event which takes place off the road where normal road rules dont apply, and as a result of doing so your vehicle breaks down then you are not covered for roadside assistance on an Individual policy. Which was the case raised by the previous post. However, if you are not taking part in the actual event but need to drive down a short track and when doing so you experience a mechancial fault there shouldnt be an issue. Accidents are a totally different senario. We will always listen to each customer and understand their individual requirements so we can help where we can. You can obtain a copy of your T&C's on our website or by calling our Custmer Services team on 08705 722722.
    Hope this clarifies.
    Angela

I suspect that the person giving the feedback may have been a competitor, whereas I am not. However, it does need to be clarified. I check when getting car insurance each year that I am covered as so many insurance companies automatically assume if you're going to a rally, you're competing! They don't seem to understand the large number of people required to provide safety.

Angela, I have honorary membership, covering your full service on personal basis. I was writing my bit below before your response for which, thanks, appeared. However, you now have me worried as you couldn't trace my membership no.!!

Just FYI, I'm often 8/9 miles into a stage! The MSA have properly trained recovery people - I've seen them getting a rally car out from a 100' ravine and it's impressive! If we have an issue as safety personnel, they will help us and get us roadside.

It would be easy to jump to the wrong conclusion and assume you were competing. This is why we should listen to our customer and understand their particular circumstances. When getting to your marshalling point one would assume you drive at a more sedate pace than the competitors but there is always a chance of a mechanical problem occurring.
    Angela

Dont worry about your membership I am sure there is perfectly logical explanation. But rather than posting any of your personal details on this forum, could you please call our Customer Services team on 08705 722722. They will ask you a few questions for Data Protection purposes and check your current home address. This should help them trace your valid policy and identify any discrepancies.They will also be able to send you a new mbrship card, if needed, which displays your valid mbrship number.
    Angela

Will do, thank you Angela.

Just confirmed I'm on the system!