Thread: Yet more poor service - complaint ignored

Default Yet more poor service - complaint ignored

It seems from reading various posts on here that the RAC seem adept at avoiding dealing with complaints and, judging by my experience, they are carrying this on. On the 14th August I wrote to the RAC and received a generic "We are looking into it and will reply within 10 working days" letter signed but with no name just the reference number. To date I have not had a reply, despite a further email on the 22nd September asking for an update within 5 working days which was read on the 24th. I am hoping that a post on here will spark someone into action, to have the decency to look at my complaint and give a constructive reply. If any Customer Service Agent wishes to have a go at this then the reference number is 61082/13 which will give access to my contact details. Sorry to be negative but I think the RAC should treat people much better than this.

Our records show that we replied by letter on 25 September to the postal address you provided. I am unable to explain why you havent received it, but I will ask my colleague to send a copy to you by email today. This will explain our position in full, but to summarise, your letter states that you had taken part in an off-road event and called RAC with a gearbox problem. You are unhappy that RAC declined to provide a free recovery under the terms of your policy. I can confirm that your breakdown cover does not include a recovery if the vehicle has broken down as a resut of taking part in a motorsport or off-road event. Full details can be found in your copy of our terms and conditions of membership booklet.
    Angela
    Angela

Thank you for your prompt response. I do not wish to get into a discussion about my situation on here but I need to point out the part of "as a result" and how you can diagnose gearbox failure on road as a result of being off road without the Patrol person taking it apart or even checking the oil. This clearly does not make sense does it? I will be replying to your colleague about my situation. By the way, since I have never been provided with a copy of your terms and conditions or been told about them, under Contract Law I think you will find that they cannot be retrospectively applied.
    Last edited by Fourbears; 01-10-13 at 11:06.

I am sure my colleague will be able to resolve your concerns when you contact her.
    With regard to your terms and conditions, your policy is not direct with RAC. You should have been provided a copy of the policy details from the insurance provider/your employer. I would therefore recommend that you contact them for a full details of your policy entitlements.
    Angela

broke down on the motorway on 10th August 2014 at around 11.00pm at night. As I am a member of RAC I called them from my mobile phone. I was on the phone for more than 20 minutes no one was picking up, so I went over to the phone box on the motorway to call from there. I had no look there as I waited more than 30 minutes.
    I came back to my car, I called an recovery service to take my car and a taxi to take my family home. As you can see it was a terrible night.
    The following day I tried calling RAC customer service to lodge a complaint, I was on the phone for over 30 minutes, eventually when I spoke to a manager they asked me to send a copy of my phone bill to see I made the call also the recovery service bill.
    All documents were sent after a few days through email.
    After a couple of days I tried ringing to see what they have done with my complaint, same after being on the line for over 20 minutes someone answered and said someone will get back to me. I have made several calls regarding the outcome also sent emails, no reply.
    Its been 2 months my complaint has not been resolved. I had a call few weeks ago from them enquiring that the recovery invoice needs to be verified and the phone bill I sent them is not readable on the email.
    If that is so, why was I not told straight after I had sent it to them, why after 6 weeks?
    Ive sent them several emails, none have replied.*
    Could you please look into my complaint, and I have all evidence aswell.
    What I want to know is how long should it take an emergency service like yours to answer a call and provide assistance?

Why does it take that long to speak to the relevant department if you want to make a complaint?

Why does no one reply to emails?

Default Let down by RAC?

We can sympathise although we had very prompt service from what we believed to be the accident management department (I misdialled the insurance providers number) we had in fact been passed on to a company called Quindell who pretended they were the RAC accident department they also pretended to be independent accident assessors and all kinds of other deceptions.
    We wrote twice to RAC to complain and neither time did we receive a detailed response, like others we had the phone call to say they were taking the matter seriously and our complaint had been passed to management.
    The fact is that RAC is now owned by an American investment bank, whose strap line is they will make money for investors and Singapore sovereign fund. The owners have an interest in making money out of the UK population not in upholding the ethos on which the RAC was founded. Their calim they have been caring for motorists since the nineteenth century is, currently, about as accurate and reliable as their promises. Hopefully like us everyone will realise RAC now should mean Relieve Anyone of Cash.

I googled Quindell since I have never heard of them. A sure fire bunch of crooks it seems. "Quindell investors Ė get your heads out of the sand right now" is what moneyweek.com had to say at the head of an article likening the company to a Ponzi scheme.

"Even its City PR firm has walked away. This thing really stinks!

Worse, the guys sitting at the top of the pile have been busying themselves selling shares. The only thing is, they didnít want to tell the markets what they were up to."

All that said - you can hardly blame the RAC if you dialled the wrong number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali1982 View Post
    broke down on the motorway on 10th August 2014 at around 11.00pm at night. As I am a member of RAC I called them from my mobile phone. I was on the phone for more than 20 minutes no one was picking up, so I went over to the phone box on the motorway to call from there. I had no look there as I waited more than 30 minutes.
    I came back to my car, I called an recovery service to take my car and a taxi to take my family home. As you can see it was a terrible night.
    The following day I tried calling RAC customer service to lodge a complaint, I was on the phone for over 30 minutes, eventually when I spoke to a manager they asked me to send a copy of my phone bill to see I made the call also the recovery service bill.
    All documents were sent after a few days through email.
    After a couple of days I tried ringing to see what they have done with my complaint, same after being on the line for over 20 minutes someone answered and said someone will get back to me. I have made several calls regarding the outcome also sent emails, no reply.
    Its been 2 months my complaint has not been resolved. I had a call few weeks ago from them enquiring that the recovery invoice needs to be verified and the phone bill I sent them is not readable on the email.
    If that is so, why was I not told straight after I had sent it to them, why after 6 weeks?
    Ive sent them several emails, none have replied.*
    Could you please look into my complaint, and I have all evidence aswell.
    What I want to know is how long should it take an emergency service like yours to answer a call and provide assistance?

Why does it take that long to speak to the relevant department if you want to make a complaint?

Why does no one reply to emails?

You are wasting your time I think. Having watched an episode of Don't get Done get Dom, I would be sending my story there. Whatever you may think of the program, he does get fast answers. Or BBC Watchdog of course.