Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any problems with BT internet

I was tempted to switch to Virgin as they have their cables running past the house, and bombard me with letters and leaflets. My previous broadband was from Eclipse and I switched recently to BT infinity, which, together with the phone contract, saved me a couple of hundred over the year.

Since I live only a couple of kilometres away from the exchange, it is no surprise that I get a pretty good connection.

How does Fibre optic broadband work?

I have no idea how it works, but do know it can be very fast.
    One thing to remember with fibre optics is that it can only be connected as far as your local junction box. You still have to have copper wires running to your house, and this is the braking system as it will not pass anything like the width that a fibre optic can.

Quote.........."How does Fibre optic broadband work?"

It can carry a lot more signals at the same time, and it doesn't drop the power of the signal, no matter how far it has to travel, also it doesn't drop the signal strength at peak times, as much as copper wire does.

We have Virgin Media, and its fibre optic all the way to our house, as the whole area was modernised recently, and its the best provider we have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    How does Fibre optic broadband work?
    Well news for you all. I talked to a BT engineer and fibre optic is provided to a distribution box near to homes. The last few hundred yards are by cable. So all your virgin and sky are provided in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I have no idea how it works, but do know it can be very fast.
    One thing to remember with fibre optics is that it can only be connected as far as your local junction box. You still have to have copper wires running to your house, and this is the braking system as it will not pass anything like the width that a fibre optic can.
    Correct!!

I don't know how things are going nationally, but I have just checked my broadband speed with http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
    I received notification a few weeks ago that my broadband speed had been 're-assigned', and have been checking every couple of days to see what this meant. I am happy to say that my average over the past week has gone up from the usual 6.5Mbps to 10.5Mbps. The definition has changed also, from 'up to 8Mbps' to 'up to 16Mbps'. At no extra cost.

using the checker - I get 38 down and 10 up

According to the BT Engineers I have spoken to, the max rate through my local switchboard is 20Mbps, so I can still only dream of such speeds. From what I can make of it, it took quite a kick to get BT to upgrade to this. Talk about being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

We have been with Virgin Media for years now, and are paying for 30Meg, the lowest I've ever seen it was 20 Meg.

Yet, when I download a film, its always at full power, so does a film in minutes.