View Poll Results: Will removing bus lanes make for better traffic flow?

Voters
8. This poll is closed
  • Yes

3 37.50%
  • No

1 12.50%
  • Make it worse

1 12.50%
  • Make it better

4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus Lanes in Liverpool. A way for all towns and cities to go??

Default Bus Lanes in Liverpool. A way for all towns and cities to go??

Liverpool has declared that it is to suspend all bus lanes in the city for 4 weeks next month as a trial. It has become apparent that no more people are using the buses but the roads have become clogged due to the bus lanes, in rush hours. At last someone in one city is willing to listen and give it a try without them! Your comments would be interesting.

Please vote above.
    Last edited by Trainman; 19-09-13 at 16:55.

Thumbs up

Liverpool. Leading the world as per usual. Excellent

But look at all the money they have spent on cameras to monitor bus lanes.

When I lived in Leeds my route into the city centre had bus lanes and it was a nightmare. Admittedly, their existence was a bit haphazard - some parts of the road did have lanes but other parts didn't. I used the bus in on two days/week when I finished early and could actually get a bus to where I wanted to go and the trip in was as long as taking the car.

I have spent hours sitting in traffic queues because of the inner lane being closed off as a bus lane. I have never seen the amount of buses pass to justify causing so much congestion. Similarly, the M4 bus lane. Causes all kinds of delays, yet infrequent use by buses and coaches, with most of them almost empty. So I would like to see them all gone.

I remember years ago while driving an ambulance into Edinburgh, I was following a Park & Ride bus into town, it was pouring out more smoke than about 200 cars would omit?

It got so bad, I had to overtake it, as all the patients I had on board, were heading to the chest clinic, and they were all coughing up?
    (so much for being green)

Well it appears that the taxi and buses drivers are complaining and many think that traffic is worse. That was from BBC North West news.

Let them complain. They have a vested interest In retaining the bus lanes.

The Bus lanes in Liverpool were badly designed in the first place.

I went to John Lennon Airport this week. Thanks to the suspension of the bus lanes, the traffic to and from the airport is much freer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    I went to John Lennon Airport this week. Thanks to the suspension of the bus lanes, the traffic to and from the airport is much freer.
    Nice to hear Dennis. I have not been into Liverpool since the suspension of the bus lanes.

Suspension of the bus lanes will very probably make traffic flow better, but I'll bet it will play havoc with bus schedules. Since the bus lanes were introduced to try and keep bus timetables operational, and thereby encourage commuters to use the bus instead of the car, I would imagine that reverting to using the car again is a likely outcome.