Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've own a car for 36 days and I'n having several problems....

Default I've own a car for 36 days and I'n having several problems....

Seems that my car needs a new rocker gasket and there's also a fuel leak somewhere else....

I just bought this car 4 and half weeks ago, and on the top of this problems my reversing lights are not working ( it's a wiring problem), the AC doesn't get cold enough and I already had to reset the steering angle sensor.

Seems that I've just bought a lemon and not a car...
    The car has 68000 miles and is from 2005.

Do you guys think that I can ask for a full refund?
    I've rang the dealer yesterday and he told me to take the car to them in order to be repaired. But to be honest after realize the problem that the car has I don't trust him anymore to do the repairs....
    In the last scenario if I really have to give him a chance to repair all this problems can I choose the garage?

Many thanks for your help

What about the MOT certificate, when was that issued?

Did the dealer know that the reversing lights were not working when you collected the car?

The law says that you have to give the dealer an opportunity to repair the faults. I suggest you take it back, but make sure they know what the faults are - put them in writing - and do not take the car back unless you are happy that they have been fixed. The problems you describe need to be fixed but they are fairly minor, so the dealer should be able to do the repairs.

They should supply a replacement car while they have yours, but this may not be possible.

Do not be aggressive with them; just be firm and clear about what you expect them to do.

It is only after they have attempted a repair and failed, or refused to carry out repairs, that you can involve another garage. If you do so before giving them a chance, they do not have to reimburse you for repairs.

the car had an mot in 26/03/2013 and 2 days later had an write off in the log book ( which I was not aware).... This looks very suspicious....
    The law says tht within 6 months a second hand car is not expected to have major problems, otherwise I would e entitled to a refund or repair. A new rocker gasket for a bmw is quite expensive and the technicians on the garage told me that is not an ease job to do. I'm also lead to believe that this was already broken at the time I bought the car as this is not the sort of fault that occur with just 400 miles in 36 days.
    I've just rang the dealer and he told me that we an give me a refund but first needs to take a look on the car...which is fair enough.. My question is, should I leave the car with him or should I be present during all the inspection to make sure he doesn't try to "cover" any problems.
    I just want a refund from the car and I willing in negotiate it as I used the car for the last 36 days..

Thank you all for your help.

The law does NOT say "a second hand car is not expected to have major problems". It says that a dealer has to rectify any which were present at the time of the sale.

Are you saying that the car is a cat 'D' write off? Surely you checked the V5 before you bought the car? Even so the dealer should have told you and trading standards would take that up for you. Of course the dealer may insist that he told you.

Most garages wouldn't allow a customer to be in the repair shop on health and safety grounds. It should be reasonably easy to tell if the work was done though.

A BMW gasket set is around 20 and shouldn't take much more than an hour to fit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8qc3Y4BxA
    Last edited by Santa; 12-09-13 at 14:24.

It's not the rocker cover gasket, it's the whole rocker gasket as one of the valves is broken... And its leaking from the breach. So it needs a whole new gasket. And because its a bmw 118d the location is different from the most bmw, and it takes a lot more to do the job. Initially I was told that the repair would be just 30 but because they found it broken the scenario changed. It would be approximately 800... There's also a fuel leak coming from the engine. Plus wiring problems with the reversing lights, AC faulty and previous steering angle sensor fault as well.

I was not expecting a new car, I knew I would have to deal with some minor problems... But this is too much for just one month. It's not reasonable to sell a car with all this faults. On the top of that I was never informed that the AC and reversing lights were not working. Not even that the car had a previous write off (accident or damaged repair) I asked for the V5C when bought the car but I was told that it was with DVLA....
    The purpose of car was to be driven safely and unfortanately driven a car with fuel, oil and lights problems is a risk.

I had a chat with him few hours ago and he told me that is willing to make me happy and he can do a refund, but first needs to take a look on the car. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea of leaving him with the car...
    Last edited by SergioMC; 12-09-13 at 15:34.

I would let him have a look but make it very clear that it doesnt matter what he says you are still rejecting the car and want a refund.

Miss breakdown

Did you see the V5 document before you agreed to buy the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Did you see the V5 document before you agreed to buy the car?
    No the dealer told me that it was with the DVLA.
    He had to fill a V62 asking for a new one in my name. That's why I was not aware that the car had a write off...