Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lane Markings

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    The general interpretation is correct. "All Routes" means exactly that. It couldn't be made much plainer!
    Thankyou Beelzebub, there appears to be no definition of the term and it's an unusual roundabout. I was going round it in the lane in question and had to slow for a vehicle executing the same exit when a truck came up on the outside and moved into my lane and forced me to stop, it was clear from his repeated lane crossing that he didn't agree with the general interpretation...

Smile

To digress slightly, When they abbreviate the white paint markings on the road service you can get strange results.

In Liverpool on the approach to one of the tunnels one lane is marked "B Head only" while the adjacent lane is marked "Ahead only"

(B head being short for Birkenhead) ....

The A43 / Brackley junction is exactly the same except much tighter and all trucks use the nearside lane to make the right turn I noted this afternoon

In my country road markings are bi-lingual as are traffic signs, as are our driving licences and V5 docs.

The road markings around here are so worn down you can hardly see them?

Especially all the markings on the speed bumps, its OK for us locals, as we know where they are, but strangers are on them before they even know that they are there?

Abbreviations can also be very confusing. Sometimes I think that the Highways engineers have a big sense of Humour.

On the approach to the OLD Mersey Tunnel in Liverpool City centre there are four lanes. Two are marked "B Head Only" and the other two are marked "Ahead only"
    B Head being abbreviation for Birkenhead.

Aye! An even bigger problem if English is not the drivers main language?( that will be next thing they will want us to change????)

That's why most signs are symbols or glyphs. These remain pretty similar throughout the EU and that is surely a Good Thing. The problems arise when you have , say, a No Entry sign with a small written sign under it which says "except for cars with a passenger" or some such.

And some signs are specific to one particular county, such as the Beware of Tanks signs on Salisbury Plain.

Picture of a tank on a triangular sign is fairly easy to decipher: http://georgemt84.files.wordpress.co...4/p1020330.***

Put j p g instead of the * - stupid forum.