Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane Markings

Hybrid View

Default Lane Markings

Moved this to the General section: Please ignore this thread.

I would welcome views on the interpretation of a lane marking on the A47/A17 roundabout.

The roundabout has two approach lanes on the A47, the offside is marked A47 Only while the nearside is marked clearly and at least 4 times "All Routes", there are no other restrictions or direction signage.

The left turn is a slip road onto the A17 West, straight ahead is the single carriageway with signage to Services. The right turn is the continuation of the dual carriageway A47.

The general interpretation of "All Routes" is that all exits are available from the marked lane and I see no difference in this case. Does anyone havee a view please?
    Last edited by TonyBrooks; 08-09-13 at 17:43.

Cool

How is the actual circular part of the roundabout marked out? has it got markings on the roundabout itself? ....

Unfortunately, Google Maps is probably too old as it does not show All Routes markings. All Routes markings are generally used where other lanes are specifically signed for use. So in the case you mention, I would say that it was not an intended route to use the nearside lane to continue onto the A47. I would also be very wary anyway of using a left hand lane approach to a roundabout to take a right turn from the roundabout.

Normally I wouldn't approach a right turn in the nearside lane either but in this case, this is a major holiday route leading to Kings Lynn, Norfolk and the Broads, not to mention the agricultural industry. The A47 leading up to the roundabout is single carriageway for the majority of the way and only becomes dualled in the final 400 yards or so before the roundabout , if the left hand lane was the only right turn lane, then the traffic would queue for several miles on the A47 to get to the roundabout or to access the A17 West.

The "All Routes" marking supports that usage, the roundabout lane markings continue to show the same markings as before (without the words) but do not show traditional lane seperation broken lines, however it is clearly dualled throughout and is commonly treated as such by traffic.

Clearly the planners intention was to prevent queuing traffic from blocking access to the A47, or to stop traffic queuing for the A47 from blocking all the other routes. I can see no reason why anyone would want to use the nearside lane unless they were jumping a queue, but while it may not be advisable, it is probably not illegal.

Well I agree generally but the only way that this would prevent, even marginally prevent, queuing is by traffic using the nearside lane to turn right. Otherwise the queue and congestion will be unaffected.
    Last edited by TonyBrooks; 09-09-13 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooks View Post
    Well I agree generally but the only way that this would prevent, even marginally prevent, queuing is by traffic using the nearside lane to turn right. Otherwise the queue and congestion will be unaffected.
    I don't know the traffic patterns there but in that case, it is reasonable for A47 traffic to use both lanes, but all the rest to use the left lane only.

Many road signs send you a long way round, because the local highways authority wants you to avoid certain places, I think.

There is a roundabout on the A50 between Stoke and Derby which is just a three way junction, which may be partly similar to this one you are querying.

It is either the junction with the A515 or the A516.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooks View Post
    The general interpretation of "All Routes" is that all exits are available from the marked lane and I see no difference in this case. Does anyone havee a view please?
    The general interpretation is correct. "All Routes" means exactly that. It couldn't be made much plainer!