Thread: car insurance void after crash

Default car insurance void after crash

hi all i wonder if any one can help with advice after a few honest mistakes

while i was away for a week with the better half last month it hit me my insurance ran out the next day being away for the week with no internet and very busy i made the stupid mistake of calling my parents and asking them to find a good quote and take out my insurance for me as all my cards etc where at home to and needed to drive the car 400 miles back that weekend

well a phone call later all sorted i thought nothing more of it insurance start was 20/08/2013

on the 28/08/2013 i had a very minor rta ( slight nudge in the rear of a van slight small dent in rear door and no damage at all to my audi ) insurance details where passed on and my insurance informed every thing fine no problem

this is where the problems start , today my insurance company sent me a email saying i had not told them about a claim from 2010 on a old policy and they want a reason why i have not told them , a copy of my ncb , copy of driving license , and a copy of my v5 or my policy will be void within 14 days , its only then i view my policy documents and notice the problem my parents details they had used to take out my policy are wrong big time !

(1)policy states held license since 2005 nope i passed in 2009
    (2) ive owned the car im insuring since 2005 again nope bought it a month ago !

what can i do about this im a little lost?

a work college seems to think they will void my policy meaning i will have to pay for any damages etc from the rta and also go to court for no insurance and possibly insurance fraud ?? help !!

Welcome to the site Tankrs, it looks like the insurance company are treating this as a case of attempted fraud, and things can get serious very quickly.

I think you should contact your insurance company as soon as possible, and try to explain exactly what happened, but to be honest, I don't think they will accept your reasons.

Even though insuring your car is treated as a mundane duty, it does warrant your full attention, as if you read through these forums, you will read quite a few posts about disputes with insurance companies, and just how serious they can be.

Most of the other people on this site start thinking about renewing their insurance at least a couple of weeks before the old policy expires, as to be caught driving on the road without it these days, can be very costly indeed, even the possibility of their car been taken off them.

I hope you manage to sort this out, as the worse case scenario would be, you being prosecuted for fraud, which I hope doesn't happen.

I agree - phone them and do your best to explain. I doubt that you will end up in court though, as they would have to prove that you intended to commit a fraud. You may be able to convince them of your honest intentions. Since police were not involved it is doubtful that you will be prosecuted for no insurance.

Have a good read of this link.

It sounds like this will be classed as "Inadvertent". What in effect happens in the case of "Inadvertent" is they rewrite the cover on the basis of how they would if they had been aware of the claim originally.

Insurers tend to ignore one claim or apply a small loading if this is the only blemish against your record. If this is the case and there would have been a loading you would simply pay the loading.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u..._insurance.htm

Post Heeeeeellllllp :( void car insurance

my wife have a policy and I am the Second driver on this policy .this is second year with this insurance and I just had an accident my self and other driver in February 2014 which is classed as (non fault accident) after accident I phoned insurance company and tell them ,I had accident .back in 2011 my wife had void insurance and she just thought it was only cancelled but it was void actually ... so after I had accident insurance company which we have they found void insurance she had in 2011 the. they void our insurance as well .... now I don't know what I am going to do ? I was the driver and car registered in my name ...but policy was in my wife name and I was second driver ...after insurance got void then I got new policy in my name ... and I asked them to look on the system to get the other persons insurance who hit my car in February 2014 but I got told on data this case shown as closed case ...that's what happened now I need to know what I should do to get out this problem ... Thank you hope it is more clear
    Last edited by Reggie79; 28-03-14 at 01:11. Reason: void insurance

Welcome of the site Reggie, I'm a bit confused over your post, so am totally sure of your question? Maybe one of the others will be able to understand your question better, good luck.

my wife have a policy and I am the Second driver on this policy .this is second year with this insurance and I just had an accident my self and other driver in February 2014 which is classed as (non fault accident) after accident I phoned insurance company and tell them ,I had accident .back in 2011 my wife had void insurance and she just thought it was only cancelled but it was void actually ... so after I had accident insurance company which we have they found void insurance then they void our insurance too ... now I don't know what I am going to do ? I was the driver and car registered in my name ...but policy was in my wife name and I was second driver ...after insurance got void then I got new policy in my name ... and I asked them to look on the system to get the other persons insurance who hit my car in February 2014 but I got told on data this case shown as closed case ...that's what happened now I need to know what I should do to get out this problem ... Thank you hope it is more clear
    Last edited by Reggie79; 28-03-14 at 01:22.

Not really Reggie.

Has the insurance company cancelled the cover because you failed to disclose a previous accident?

Do you actually have insurance, or has it been cancelled?

What is the situation now? Are you being prosecuted for no insurance? Is someone making a claim against you personally because your insurance company failed to pay up?

To be honest, I think you should take all the documents to a solicitor and get some proper advice.

Insurer cancelled it after accident ... they just must decide to check policy then data that's how they found my wife had a void insuruance in 2011 we didn't know that either coz my thought it was just cancelled not void ...because I was second driver on the plociy then I have insurance now only in my name Juat a week ego ...New insurer told me on data my accident case shown as "close case" ...I haven't receive anything from other insurance which who hit me ...! I was advised to wait by my new insurer , Cos it refers close case on their data ...