Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Refused to attend

The above reasons you give for a road being 'dangerous' Dennis, just go to show how few people drive to the constraints of the environment. I do not and never will accept that any road is dangerous. A look would show the safe speed to navigate such roads in a safe manner.

One has always got to expect the unexpected.

Like for example a JCB with mud covered and obscured rear lights making it nearly invisible at night in Wiltshire.

I wouldn't say that the roads are dangerous, we can always adjust our speed to compensate, its the other drivers who don't compensate their speed, that are dangerous?

Some roads are dangerous simply because of the volume of traffic on them. And poor maintenance of hedges and grass verges can also cause problems, sometimes.

If traffic kept proper distances, and speed was adjusted to compensate for hazards, there would be no problem.
    There used to be a sign in the Denham area that lit up 'Tailgating - Too Close' in the same way that the current motorway matrix boards light up. That was in the '70s. It was there for years before being removed. I am sure something like that could be set up attached to a camera to sort out some of the three-inches-from-rear-bumper Brigade.

Sometimes when other vehicles are right close on my tail I will put my hazard warning lights on.

That tends to confuse them, but they do back off.

What do you do?

A dab on the brake pedal usually does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    Sometimes when other vehicles are right close on my tail I will put my hazard warning lights on.
    I am sure that you are aware that this is illegal. Smuger's dabbed brakes is a much better method - If that fails I slow down gently until they overtake me.

In what way is it illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I am sure that you are aware that this is illegal. Smuger's dabbed brakes is a much better method - If that fails I slow down gently until they overtake me.
    Actually, when you give this serious analysis, maybe the dabbed brakes is more dangerous than the hazard warning lights.

Dabbed brakes may cause the tailgater to hit his brakes hard, wheras hazard warning lights will encourage him to ease off more gently.