Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Refused to attend

Quote Originally Posted by tomr10 View Post
    good fast response there
    Yes,a fast response with a promise but you will forgive me for being cynical,after all it took 4 weeks for them to make the decision not to pay the charge in spite of the promise to reply in 10 days.
    Is this new promise just for cosmetic purposes?

ah right i thought it happened yesterday

You have missed out the one vital point ie that your company flatly refused to recover the vehicle.
    Just for clarification the car was not on the motorway,merely on a roundabout with access to the motorway.

What was the fault which caused your vehicle to break down? Was it a puncture or something else?

Quote....."If the police were driving a Land Rover derivative, then in an emergency they could have towed it themselves to a place of safety."

I saw on the TV traffic police in New Zealand, that their cars have special bumpers fitted that allows them to push a car to safety, with no need for a tow rope. It looks a lot safer as well, as no one has to get out of their cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    What was the fault which caused your vehicle to break down? Was it a puncture or something else?
    As it turned out it was the simplest thing in the world.The oil filler cap had somehow come off and the cars electronics reacted by shutting down

Oh! dear, sounds like someone didn't put the filler cap right on, after checking or adding some oil?

Its just as well the electrics did shut the engine down, as that could have caused a very expensive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    I would have refused to pay the 250.00

Did the police inform you that there would be a charge?
    That would have been very expensive advice.

The police have statutory powers to remove (or arrange removal) of any vehicle causing an obstruction, which this clearly was. The 250 charge is set by parliament.

Refusal to pay would mean the vehicle would not be released, and would eventually be disposed of. You would probably still be pursued for the 250, plus storage charges/

Somehow, there is an element of silliness in reported RAC attitude to this breakdown. Roads are not dangerous, people are. I know J4 on M40 very well, and have worked there many times, and lost count of the times I have used it. It is a large roundabout with traffic lights all around. Traffic does tend to pick up speed going across the Marlow to High Wycombe side, but I never had a problem as visibility is quite good. I certainly felt a lot safer there than on the hard shoulder of motorways where I watched lorries straddling the hard shoulder marker line.
    Question for RAC: Has the collision rate for the roundabout risen to a high level in the last five years?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Somehow, there is an element of silliness in reported RAC attitude to this breakdown. Roads are not dangerous, people are. I know J4 on M40 very well, and have worked there many times, and lost count of the times I have used it. It is a large roundabout with traffic lights all around. Traffic does tend to pick up speed going across the Marlow to High Wycombe side, but I never had a problem as visibility is quite good. I certainly felt a lot safer there than on the hard shoulder of motorways where I watched lorries straddling the hard shoulder marker line.
    Question for RAC: Has the collision rate for the roundabout risen to a high level in the last five years?
    Statistically speaking, many roads are intrinsically dangerous for a variety of reasons. Poor maintenance, poor signs, bad design. Poor road markings or faded road markings. poor quality street lighting. too many confusing and contradictory road signs.