Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Refused to attend

Aye! Rolebama, I was only travelling at around 20-25 mph, as the frozen fog was so thick, that visibility was down to around 30 feet?

Yet the damage to my car was just unbelievable, it was like hitting a dry dyke wall, the battery ended up in the glove box, the radiator and alternator were both write off's?

I was driving a Renault 25, but if it had been a small car, I would heave been lucky to walk away from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stunned View Post
    Our car broke down on a busy roundabout but in spite of having the best cover the RAC refused to send an engineer saying that it was too dangerous.This in spite of the fact that we know that both RAC and AA vans are frequently seen to be recovering vehicles at this spot.A second call received the same answer leaving us in a state of disbelief.Are we to suppose that unless you break down on a quiet suburban street you will receive no help.
    We were advised on both calls to contact the police to move the car which we did and they called in a contractor at a cost of 250 which we had to pay on the spot.
    Surely one would expect that since we have full breakdown cover and since we followed the advice given, then the RAC would pay the removal fee.They have however refused to do so.
    My advise is therefore to not break down where it is busy or to change to another company which after more than 20 years with them is what we will now do.
    Update on the original post
    RAC have admitted that they were wrong in not attending and have agreed to pay 150 of the 250 removal fee.I understand that a cheque will arrive within 7 days.However that leaves the main question unanswered.How busy does a road have to be in order for it to be too dangerous and do their operatives have an official list of these places.I suspect this to be the case.
    Unfortunately I have been unable to unearth a reference to this in their terms and conditions.If there is such a reference and anyone knows how to find it I would be grateful for the information.
    I understand from reading these posts that there are other situations where the RAC may not attend such as punctures,accidents(including vehicles damaged by potholes) and probably more.How does this compare with other companies?

It compares badly, I would guess.

Eventually you will only be covered if you break down in a public car park on a sunny day.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Eventually you will only be covered if you break down in a public car park on a sunny day.
    Unless the RAC van is being followed by a camera crew for a documentary and there is three inches of snow in that car park and young people who have not been taught how to drive in snow need "digging" out. .