Thread: Made things worse

Thumbs down Made things worse

See my other post under VW/RAC problem:
    Because of actions of patrolman, unable to get repair under VW warranty.
    RAC should let people know of this issue when clearing fault codes on VWs.
    Do not let RAC patrolman near your under-warranty VW.
    RAC said they won't take responsibility for the patrolman not sending fault code to VW as he carried out his duties at roadside, and that was their remit. VW say without the info sent electronically they can't repair under warranty.
    Cost of part and repair on an 11-plate 24,000 mile VW Golf? 800/900.
    RAC Breakdown Customer "Care" Kevin would not phone VW to discuss, or to see whether info could be sent retrospectively.
    RAC should publicise/advise of repercussions of their patrolman's actions on under-warranty vehicles.
    Obviously, I'm not renewing my family membership................

Judging from the mix of your two posts, it seems that VW know which component has failed. (How else can they give you a price?) I don't think it should matter about fault codes. If they have managed to diagnose and find the problem part, then VW should be repairing it as a warranty claim. It seems to me that it is VW that is scamming you.

Yes, I see what you mean; BUT, they have given me a price on what the patrolman wrote on his Customer Assistance Report. Apparently, there is a very detailed report that can be downloaded from the car, which has been deleted by RAC. And if I had RAC assistance via VW Breakdown, the data would have been sent as a matter of course.
    No matter who is 'scamming' me, the actions of a 'regular' RAC patrolman as opposed to a RAC/VW expert patrolman is critical in this situation. I apportion blame equally between RAC and VW, with the poor old owner/member in the middle of the dispute.
    VW say that all patrolmen,(irrespective of expertise/company) have been issued with best practise guidelines; RAC say their remit ends at Roadside assistance (comment by Kevin Crawford, RAC Breakdown Customer 'Care' - who refused to phone VW to have direct dialogue)
    I feel very strongly that I need to flag up the issues regarding RAC intervention with warranty vehicles
    I am a very reasonable person caught up in the middle of a dispute, and at the moment VW are coming out better on customer relations. Have no fear, the VW forum has also had an adverse comment.
    The issue is that the retailer cannot download the fault to reclaim their parts/labour cost from VW UK. VW UK say they have no proof of the fault as RAC have deleted it. RAC just said "sorry, deal with it, our liability ended at roadside".
    I feel I need to educate everyone who has a breakdown under warranty what will happen by RAC intervention to prevent my situation from happening to them. I have no agenda, other than to pass on my experience. BEWARE the RAC/VW/Warranty trap.

I think it a case for Trading Standards. I would give them a ring to get advice from them. I understand the stance that the RAC have taken, although I do agree with it. I feel it is VW who are being unreasonable, as they could just as easily contact RAC and point out the problems that could arise due to fault code clearance.

I would say your issue is with VW not RAC. If they know a part is faulty and needs replacing, then it should be done FOC if it is under warranty. The fault codes matter not a jot.

If I am not mistaken don't RAC provide the cover for VW vehicles ? If so, I would imagine that VW would want them to fix as much as possible roadside rather than dragging everything into the dealer.

Do new VWs come with roadside assistance? If so, it may be a condition of the warranty that you call them rather than the RAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Do new VWs come with roadside assistance? If so, it may be a condition of the warranty that you call them rather than the RAC.
    Just found this.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/assistance

It does appear that the RAC provide Roadside Assistance for all VW vehicles under manufacturing warranty. I think there is more to this than we are being told.

Hi
    Yes it was under the VW/RAC breakdown assistance for one year only, but then on renewal I went direct with RAC to have family cover.The situation at the moment is that Nicola from VW Customer Care was going to phone RAC but said they may not talk to her as she is not the member. VW Sinclair Cardiff has the car (and has given me a courtesy car till Monday), they are also fixing the oil leak it has(!) and are hoping the error shows up while they have the car.
    Wish I had known the ramifications of the RAC attending my VW prior to calling them.

So it seems that the VW assistance is provided by the RAC but work from a different telephone number. I can see the difference but would have thought that a patrol would have known what to do, even though you are an 'ordinary' member.

Interesting to see the outcome and a good heads up for others.