Thread: Renault Clio 1.2 Petrol x Reg - High Revs

Default Renault Clio 1.2 Petrol x Reg - High Revs

Hello again, And here is my other problem my wifes car:

She has a Renault Clio 1.2 petrol x reg. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet as I am at work but I received a call from her a little while ago saying she was driving along and when she went to change gear the car started screaming (like the accelerator was flat down and out of gear) and shes instantly stopped the engine and pulled over which is when she phoned me.

I made her wait a few minutes turn the ignition on and check for any warnings - none that she could see, then told her to try starting the engine, it started up but is idling at around 2.5 to 3k revs, Since she was literally around the corner from her destination I have told her to gently drive to there and then leave the car to rest and cool down for half an hour, then she is going to give it another go gently to get home which is a minute or two drive from here she currently is.

Does anyone have any idea on this issue?

Thanks,
    Max

An update:

Got home last night I topped up the oil as it was about midway between min and max, The water cooling tank was slightly nearer min then max so I put a little bit of clean water in to help. The car started perfectly and purred while idling as I would expect I let it run a bit checked the accelerator wasn't sticking at all, took it for a little drive around town and when I got back I left it idling to ensure the fan kicked in and it was cooling ok.

What I did notice though is the temp needle gets up to just under halfway and doesn't appear to go any further. It got to half way I was giving the engine a little rev and shortly after the fan kicked in but it never reached the half way mark, I tried tapping it encase it was stuck but no joy.

Will see how it runs over the next few days, Yesterday it did have a strenuous day it was driven all morning around town on a very hot day.

Regards,
    Max