Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold my car but forgot to keep sellers part of V5! Help please

Exclamation Sold my car but forgot to keep sellers part of V5! Help please

Hi

I sold my car last week and stupidly handed over the entire V5 to the buyer who said that he will fill in his part and send off to DVLA. I signed my section but did not retain for my reference.

Even more stupidly I did not even get the buyer's full name or address so I sent him a text and he replied back with his full name and only the street name and the name of the area but no door number or postcode.

He assures me that he has posted the V5.

Should I be concerned?

Should I call DVLA to inform them that I have sold the car?

If the buyer has posted the V5 then will I, the seller, receive any documentation from DVLA to confirm change of ownership?

I would really appreciate any help/advice you can provide.

Many thanks in advance.

I would phone DVLA. What possible reason could the buyer have for not giving you the house number and postcode? Was there a particular reason why you did not fill in his name and address on the V5?

I agree - phone the DVLA - today. They are usually quite helpful. Do not rely on the buyer as if he fails to tell them, you might get all his speeding and parking tickets.

I also agree. But in addition I'd write, keep a copy, and send it recorded delivery. You then have some evidence if it all goes pear-shaped.

Remember, a phone call isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Now that's just a tad paranoid. It's not an offence to fail to send it in - the boys in blue won't be kicking the door down. They record all their calls anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Now that's just a tad paranoid. It's not an offence to fail to send it in - the boys in blue won't be kicking the door down. They record all their calls anyway.
    I may be paranoid, but ...

Ok, it's not an offence, but until the change is properly notified and recorded the OP will receive the tickets for any speeding etc. offences that the new owner commits, and even if he proves his innocence will suffer a lot of inconvenience.

I've dealt with many large organisations who record calls, but still fail to action them, e.g Virgin, British Gas, BT. I don't share your faith in the DVLA!

Lightbulb

To the Original poster, A google search or a telephone directory search may give you his House number and postcode.

Just make a note of the time and date when he took the vehicle away, just in case of query later.

Did he pay by cheque or cash?
    Last edited by Dennis W; 20-06-13 at 16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I agree - phone the DVLA - today. They are usually quite helpful. Do not rely on the buyer as if he fails to tell them, you might get all his speeding and parking tickets.
    I disagree with you when you say that the DVLA are "usually" quite helpful. In my experience sometimes they are very unhelpful.

Welcome to the site Dead Cell, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I was a bit worried when I bought and sold a car recently, but the paperwork went through OK , it took a while mind you, but the DVLA are known to things in a hurry?

My experiences with DVLA over the years have always been good... I hope that the OP gives us some feedback about his experience.

I had a further thought about this. We are told, for obvious reasons, that we should complete and return that part of the V5 so that the DVLA can update their records.

Now - If I sell my car for cash, I have no way of knowing whether the buyer gives me his genuine address. Neither do I have any obligation to verify it. From my point of view as the seller, I would send it in so that the DVLA know that the car is no longer my responsibility, and that ends my obligation.