Thread: Please help need advice! young family!

Default Please help need advice! young family!

The story,

We have two cars a 58 reg fiesta style (30000 miles) and a 2001 vaux astra. My car is bleeding money it always needs something to be done to it. Tax is high but it does do good a good run (400 miles for 60) its done 107000 miles. We have a young daughter and we want to have more. So we need to trade my astra in as it keeps costing us. It is worth only 300 trade in or 500 to sell but its at least something.

Do we buy a car that will handle more kids in the future and do my mileage to work every day (diesel C-max or vaux zafira, xiara picasso). Or buy a car that will breech the gap e.g. I can drive it for the next 4/5 years and it will be traded in for one of the above.

Problem is we only have 2500 in savings and we cannot guarantee that we would have much more than that in 4/5 years. We would like to have a few years of just worrying about tax and mot and nothing else like we have for the fiesta.

We just don't know what to do as the c-max seem to be in the 3000 mark for a car that has done 100000 miles.

We are confused.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

You can easily find an 05 or 06 C-max with <50k miles in your budget range. I bought my daughter one two years ago for 3000 and am very happy so far.

Downside is 165 VED, but insurance is not bad and running costs minimal. Had to buy two tyres for the last MOT, but that's about it so far. Hers is an 04 model. Unless you are high mileage I doubt that the premium for a diesel engine would be worth it - Work it out for yourself first.
    Last edited by Santa; 16-06-13 at 18:55.

On one of my early posts I received some excellent advice which is relevant here. Have a look on sites like Autotrader where you can put in your needs, mileage price etc, and cars for sale will be shown. If you are interested in a car have a look at an owners forum - a wealth of information from people committed to the make. As for cars, I suggest looking at discontinued models like the Toyota Corolla : the later model was worse ! Good Luck I have spent many hours going round in circles !

Welcome to the site pvi2000, you could also have a look on Ebay or Gu*****, it is possible to pick up a bargain there. I know a lot of folk say the opposite, but I have bought and sold 2 cars using them.

The one I have now is a cracker, and was a bargain at less than 1400, and it runs like a dream, good luck.

I would not consider the Zafira. My sister-in-law had one through the Mobility Scheme and it spent as much time in the dealership as it did on her drive. My friend bought one against the advice of everyone I know in the trade, and has been throwing money at it ever since.

One of my brother in laws, who has a large family, has one of them 8 seater Kia`s with the sliding door, he says its been a great car for them, and never had any problems at all.

In fact, he has put thousands of miles on it, and had it for years, and he intends to keep it as its been so reliable.

Go with the zafira - for that money you can get a fairly new looking one. Get one with full service history and max 2 owners. It's a reliable car and maintenance is cheap. I would steer clear of French cars due to poor reliability and time spent in garage due to poor build quality.

Quote...."I would steer clear of French cars due to poor reliability and time spent in garage due to poor build quality."

Well I've had a few French cars over the years, and never had a problem with reliability with any of them.