Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astra H 1.7 CDTI won't start now....

Default Astra H 1.7 CDTI won't start now....

Vauxhall Astra H (2005) 1.7 CDTI (100BHP)

I recently replaced my oil cooler and a water pipe and in the process took off the lower metal air charge pipe which goes from the inlet manifold to the EGR I guess? This had quite a bit of carbon so cleaned out what i could and same with the inlet manifold where it connects and the other end.
    Whilst replacing all this i accidently broke a leak off pipe connector. When I finished everything I went to start it to see if all was OK. It fired and ran for about 2 seconds then stopped. Now when i turn it over it makes a higher pitched whiring sound, nothing like it should sound. I checked the cambelt and all OK but it seems like there is no compression.
    I replaced all the leak off connectors and pipes but that has not helped. I plugged in opcom and the only fault codes were p0070-71 and p0500-74. I did a live data test whilst cranking the engine and will post that here if it helps.
    Anyone got any idea why this has happened and how to solve it? All was running great previously. I suspect some carbon has gone in the inlet manifold and blocked all air to the engine, is this feasible?

Thanks in advance.

I would take the covers off and recheck the belt and its timing. Turn the engine by hand with a spanner on the crank bolt.

OK thanks, Iwill do. I took off the inlet manifold today and it was solid with Black crud (carbon). The flaps would not move at all. Cleaned it all up and flaps move now as they should. Used a hoover to suck out all loose bits from inlet ports on head.
    This may not have been the problem but it obviously needed doing.

The cambelt was renewed in January just before I got the car apparently but will will check the timing marks once it is all reassemled. Just odd as it started normally and run for a couple of seconds then stopped.

Your fault codes are p0070-71 ambient air temp and p0500-74 which is vehicle speed sensor not plausible with engine speed as usual this is a red herring I would all pipes are attached egr valve is shut and look at live readings in particular airflow meter and post the readings on here .

Miss breakdown

I did a live data record the other day, all I could do was record it whilst cranking it over as it would not start.

The results are HERE

(Link is safe, on my own server and it is a csv file as that is what OPCOM saves it as)

I really need the airflow reading the file doesnt seem to be saved logical

Miss breakdown

The airflow reading on the data results fluctuates between 4 and 10 kg/h when cranking the engine.
    I cannot do any more tests until I put it all back together which will be today hopefully.

I got it back together and it is the same when cranking. I have done a short video clip so you can hear how it sounds when cranking, it is not right. The file is about 6MB Click here

Well your battery sounds a little flat may be a slight loss of compression maybe the timing has slipped bit????

Miss breakdown

Thanks Miss breakdown. Yes battery was low but when it was charged it sounded the same, only turning faster.
    I will be checking the timing next. I guess it could be coincidence that the belt maybe slipped just as air got in the fuel system... stranger things have happened.
    Oh well, out with the tools again, will update as and when I get that far.