Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions: How has driving behaviour changed?

Chloeclogs, everyone's driving changes over time. The big question is; how many improve, and how many get worse during their driving career? Regarding the 'school run', or any other forms of congestion - if the vehicles are being used legally, the issue still remains that it is up to all drivers to recognise any apparent dangers and apply their driving skills in a manner so as to ensure a safe situation - the existence of the 'school run' cannot be used as an argument that it is unsafe.
    On the subject of quiet times of the day, I would never advocate a deliberate aim to always use such times. Doing so could well result in becoming unsafe if forced by circumstance to drive during a peak period.
    Although well into retirement, I still drive during peak times on a fairly regular basis in order to retain my ability to safely deal with these conditions.

I have found out that if I do drive at peak times, I spend most of the time in traffic jams? That is not only bad for the car engine, it also pi**es me off to the extent where I keep off the roads at those times.

smudger, I am not suggesting peak period driving on a daily basis - just sufficiently to keep up to speed with the ability to deal with varying traffic conditions. I would agree that this adds to fuel usage but, subject to proper maintenance and driving habits, a modern engine is hardly likely to suffer damage. Any insignificant wear would also pale into being incomparable to the costs of an incident due to deterioration of driving ability.
    For example, our neighbour's late grandfather once told me that he never ventured onto motorways, and would be very afraid to do so. Just imagine what his position would have been had he been forced by diversionary circumstances to go onto a motorway.

It's not just diversionary circumstances that can 'cause' motorway use. A few years ago I tried to follow the A31. Fine to Winchester, then it just disappeared at a roundabout. Only sensible option was to use the motorway (M3), although the whole point of being on the A31 at the time was that I had decided I did not want to use the motorway. Same thing happened on the A41 last year. Fine until I came to a roundabout when it too disappeared, and I 'had' to use the M40. It seems that having paid for them, we have to use them or do a heck of a lot of miles around.

It's true that it does sometimes take some adroit navigation, or local knowledge, to keep off the motorway. In many cases however, the old roads are still there, but with different numbers. For example the A41 is now the B4100 north of Bicester, and the A31 is the A3090 West of Winchester.

I like driving on the "old roads" especially if I'm not in a hurry, they are quieter than the motorways, and much more fun to drive.

Yes Santa, it is knowing the new numbers that is the problem. That and the ideal that so do the powers-that-be responsible for the signage. The old A6 became the new A1081, but that did not stop whoever was responsible for signage on the A1(M) from signing it as the A1981 for quite a few months. Caused a few problems for non-locals.

Do you think that Sat-Navs are improving now, as I've not read any posts about folk getting totally lost by using them?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Do you think that Sat-Navs are improving now, as I've not read any posts about folk getting totally lost by using them?
    They are until they go wrong!!! I bought a new TomTom in March this year. In France it decided to start playing up - freezing, losing the GPS signal, wandering off from the route shown on the moving map, and sometimes giving instructions (visual and audible) either too early or too late.
    It has now gone back for repair or replacement.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    They are until they go wrong!!! I bought a new TomTom in March this year. In France it decided to start playing up - freezing, losing the GPS signal, wandering off from the route shown on the moving map, and sometimes giving instructions (visual and audible) either too early or too late.
    Sounds just like when your partner is map reading.