Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mileage or Make?

Question Mileage or Make?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a bit of car buying advice. I am mainly interested in reliability. Say you have two cars of the same age, both with FSH, long MOTs, similar-ish price, good condition etc, but one is a notoriously reliable make but much higher mileage, is it worth sacrificing the mileage to get that make?

I'm thinking specifically 2000 Toyota Celica with 93k compared to a 2000 Ford Puma with 51k. Is the much higher mileage worth the Toyota reliability?

On another note, is it worth going for a car that is newer even if it has similar mileage (all else being approximately equal)?

So in this case the Ford Puma above compared to 2003 Sport Ka with 46k.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Have you checked which Insurance Group the various options fit into? Check out how many previous owners the cars had.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I hadn't thought about the insurance actually, thanks for that. I'm not too worried if they're a bit different though, I just want the one that "should" be the most reliable so the are the minimum fuss. The Puma has 3 previous owners, the Ka 1, and the Toyota doesn't say but I could ask. Thanks again.

Modern cars are capable of very high mileages compared to 20 or 30 years ago. 100,000 is not all that high for some makes. I would go for the Toyota.

Thanks for your advice. I went and looked at the Toyota and it was in very good condition. It had two previous owners, a genuine reason for sale, tons of receipts for even the most minor things like tyres, all the service history and mots etc etc. I took the plunge. It's early days yet but does feel just that little bit better quality, particularly mechanically speaking. Thanks again for all the advice. Cheers.

I always go by mileage rather than the year, for example, the car I have now is an 02 plate with 64K on it. I could have got a newer car for around the same price, but it more miles on it?

Quote Originally Posted by py9mrg View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I went and looked at the Toyota and it was in very good condition. It had two previous owners, a genuine reason for sale, tons of receipts for even the most minor things like tyres, all the service history and mots etc etc. I took the plunge. It's early days yet but does feel just that little bit better quality, particularly mechanically speaking. Thanks again for all the advice. Cheers.
    I disagree with you when you imply that tyres are a minor item. In my humble opinion tyres are one of the most crucial safety items on any vehicle.

Aye! no matter how powerful the car is, its that small part on each tyre, the size of a A4 sheet of paper, that keeps in it on the road.

And the thing that always amazes me when I think about it; the thing that is hard to get your brain around, is that any part of the tread on a tyre, on a car doing 70 mph, is accelerating from zero to 140 mph and back to zero between 800 and 900 times a minute. Even more with a small tyre.

Santa, I noted that you wrote this on another thread, and I still can't get my head around it. Surely the tyre is revolving at a constant rate, and any part is only contacting the ground for a few milliseconds. As the tyre is travelling along the road it surely must be revolving at a constant?