Thread: Help Ididn't read the small print

Unhappy Help Ididn't read the small print

Not wanting to be stranded on the motorway last July I joined the RAC mainly for peace of mind. I think i did it over the phone and got nd landed up with a comprehensive vehicle based membership. Three months later I changed my car and bought a year old focus. A few days ago my local garage man whom I know very well did the first service but sadly left the sump plug only finger tight. When I later parked in the local DIY store. I noticed few oil drips not too serious so I drove straight home. When I phoned the RAC to pick up my car and deliver it to the garage, I was shocked to discover that as I had not informed them of my new car the wanted an extra 25. Essentially I now realise that the moment I bought the new car it was not covered by the RAC. I thought this was disgraceful as I paid up for the membership -my money was quickly accepted and because the brain cells do not cover all eventualities when one is older, advantage is taken and the oldies are penalised. I stuck to my principles got the sump plug replaced filled it with oil and sorted.I am very saddened by this I never claim from the RAC, house insurance change my own tyres etc

Come on RAC sort yourselves out

Welcome to the site Wyn47, I always thought it was the person who was the member, not the car?

Smudger - there are two levels of cover as shown on http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/uk-breakdown/ - one individual and one for a specific car.

I never knew that, just goes to show how out of touch I am these days. My Dad was a member years ago, when we used to drive south every year to see the rest of his family.

I wonder how the RAC would fare in front of a county court Judge if the OP decided to take them to court for an unreasonable charge? This type of 'admin fee' has been successfully challenged in the courts where the applying company has been unable to show a breakdown of how they arrived at the stated sum, in this case 25. To change the details, I expect an employee will access the customer's account on the computer in front of them using the membership number. That should take 3-5 seconds. Then the employee will delete the previous number and enter the new one. Approx 5-10 seconds.
    I am not a mathematician but for 15 seconds work, 25 appears a tad expensive. I think that equates to 100 per hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    I wonder how the RAC would fare in front of a county court Judge if the OP decided to take them to court for an unreasonable charge? This type of 'admin fee' has been successfully challenged in the courts where the applying company has been unable to show a breakdown of how they arrived at the stated sum, in this case 25. To change the details, I expect an employee will access the customer's account on the computer in front of them using the membership number. That should take 3-5 seconds. Then the employee will delete the previous number and enter the new one. Approx 5-10 seconds.
    I am not a mathematician but for 15 seconds work, 25 appears a tad expensive. I think that equates to 100 per hour?
    It's 6,000 per hour!

However, I don't think this was an admin charge, rather a charge for assisting an unregistered car. This is probably designed to deter fraud, e.g. unscrupulous people paying for one vehicle and then, when one of their fleet of minicabs breaks down, claiming it was a replacement car which they'd forgotten to register.

When my daughter lived at home we had a family membership which covered us all in any car. When she moved away, I checked and found that I could only include her car but not her (so to speak). Now none of us are members.

The OP acknowledges that he failed to read the small print. What he actually did was to fail to understand the difference between the two types of membership - not quite the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    It's 6,000 per hour!
    Told you, I am not a mathematician! Didn't multiply from mins to hours, did I?....

An unfortunate situation, but I agree witht the RAC. Looking on their web site it's clear that vehicle cover is cheaper than personal cover, no doubt because it's a lower risk. If they didn't charge then I'm sure word would get round and people would soon be abusing the system.As for not charging because of someone's age?? Serious?? Wouldn't that be discriminating on age and be illegal in the uk let alone their responsibility for treating customers fairly??
    Last edited by Mike Gray; 08-09-14 at 00:07. Reason: No personal abuse on this forum